Shimano rs10 spokes

veterangaz
veterangaz Posts: 79
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi all, I am new to this forum so was looking for some help. I have a shimano rs10 rear wheel on my bike. A spoke broke a couple of weeks ago and after trying to find a replacement online and visiting lbs it turns out the spokes have been discontinued and ultimately I may have to buy a new wheel. Not really a problem as needed to upgrade them anyway to a much better set. However it is annoying as I would want to keep the wheels to use in poor weather etc as I only have 1 decent bike, my other commuter bike is only good for my 15 mile relatively flat round trip to work.

With the spoke missing the wheel is rubbing the brake pads quite firmly so can't really use it. Has anyone had this problem before where a wheel was obsolete as a spoke couldn't be replaced. I am thinking of upgrading to a pair around £500 next, what if the same thing happens! Also as a long shot anyone happen to have a spoke for a rs10. It is hard to tell the exact size as I can't seem to get an existing one out and the other broke in the nipple so missing the thread.

Comments

• Look on ebay for a spares or repair rear wheels.

Next time buy handbuilts as standard spoke will be available for pretty much forever.
  • Yep tried ebay and gumtree. A few people are selling the wheel but no one the spokes. There are spokes but they are for a wh-rs10 whatever that is, I know they will not fit as they are 304 mm which will be too big, I need about 298mm I reckon.
  • ah just sent your post
  • Thanks anyway, just been searching some more and there are forums of people complaining about this 2 years ago so I guess I am not the only one! Just didn't think something like this would happen, I have been cycling a few years but quite new to all this repair malarkey and I seem to learn how to fix 1 part of the bike then I get another curve ball thrown at me. More I research spokes and wheels it scares me how much there is to learn about fixing them and making sure they are all the right tension and even buying tools and benches to true them.
  • Agree, this worries me as I've just bought a bike with these wheels. I guess going handbuilt is a more secure option for the future.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    veterangaz wrote:
    There are spokes but they are for a wh-rs10 whatever that is, I know they will not fit as they are 304 mm which will be too big, I need about 298mm I reckon.

I thought that WH-RS10 was just the full model name (WH presumably standing for wheel). Not sure why there's a length discrepency though. All the technical documents are available here, if that helps.
  • lc1981 wrote:
    veterangaz wrote:
    There are spokes but they are for a wh-rs10 whatever that is, I know they will not fit as they are 304 mm which will be too big, I need about 298mm I reckon.

I thought that WH-RS10 was just the full model name (WH presumably standing for wheel). Not sure why there's a length discrepency though. All the technical documents are available here, if that helps.

Thanks that's useful. The PDFs show the spoke lengths as per the links I posted. The picture is not the front wheel i have which is laced radially but the exploded view looks correct so maybe the picture is just a mistake?
    edit. that's the rear wheel doh!
  • Yes it is strange as that is my wheel model but the spoke length is too long, I think my bike shop were going to order that spoke and then phoned me back when they realised it was too long. It is strange, I guess there must have been a slight model change at some point as this wheel has been around since at least 2009 looking on other forums.

Bit annoying to have to get a new wheel as a £3 spoke broke but my main concern is if I buy some decent wheels this time and the same happens I would be really annoyed, guess I will have to buy a lot of spare spokes next time!
  • buy the longer spoke and run a die down it, then cut the end off!
  • I'll be honest, that goes over my head. Bike newbie I am afraid. You may be offering great advice or winding me up, have no idea!
  • buy the longer spoke and run a die down it, then cut the end off!

Is that an option? Trying to cut a thread on on something that diameter would be a challenge even with a die, threads would be rolled on during manufacture and much stronger than a cut thread due to the grain structure.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    There's sometimes 3 different spoke lengths for a wheel-set; front, rear drive side and rear non drive side.

According to the exploded diagrams on Shimano Tech Docs it's simple for the WH-RS10 because the rear uses the same length both sides.

Front spokes are 284mm, rears are 302mm

Not sure you have the option of cutting threads into a longer spoke; they are bladed ones.
  • keef66
    http://www.rosebikes.com/article/shiman ... aid:571192

They have them in stock in silver but not in black
  • keef66 wrote:

Thanks, they may be the ones as they are listed as 302mm for the rear when the other websites list them as 304mm. I think there are Shimano Rs10 (304mm) and Shiman Rs10a (302mm) so I must have the 'a' which is less common hence harder to replace.

however as it is £15 with postage don't know if I will go for it after all that, just in case it still doesn't fit!
  • break the wheels down and sell the parts on ebay.
    £3 a spoke = £105
    £10 a hub = £20
    £10 a rim = £20
    just about enough to buy some Planet-X AL30's or similar.
  • keef66
    veterangaz wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Thanks, they may be the ones as they are listed as 302mm for the rear when the other websites list them as 304mm. I think there are Shimano Rs10 (304mm) and Shiman Rs10a (302mm) so I must have the 'a' which is less common hence harder to replace.

however as it is £15 with postage don't know if I will go for it after all that, just in case it still doesn't fit!

2mm either way won't matter! £15 for a single spoke though :shock: Surely somebody in the UK must stock the flippin things; those wheels are on thousands of bikes, mine included.

Tried Madison?

http://www.madison.co.uk/search?tags=sh ... &x=19&y=16
  • I think I looked at these, it is certainly my wheel but I am sure 304mm is too long. I will just buy it anyway and if that doesn't fit will splash out on new wheels and sell the parts. I've tried getting an existing spoke out to measure it but the nipple heads must have rusted as I can't unscrew them from above and don't have a nipple key to undo them below.

This is like a Carry On film
  • keef66
    I thought the spoke was broken? You should just be able to extract the two halves from the rim / hub respectively, no?

Edited to say I just re-read the OP.

You still have the broken spoke and the bit stuck in the nipple? Could you stick them together to estimate the length?
  • No thrown out now, the thread part was lost so chucked the rest after the bike shop said they could replace it. They then called back and said couldn''t after I had thrown it away!
  • keef66
    Then you'll need to buy a nipple to go with it cos he specifically says it doesn't include one
  • Already have those, they came with the spokes I brought that didn't fit. they should work with other spokes though.
  • Just had a reply from one of the firms that use Maddison as a distributor, all out of stock there of the 302mm. Will try the 304mm on Ebay as if it works I can sell the whole wheel, if not will strip it down, if I can, and sell of the parts. Seeing the problems I have had I reckon these spokes could be worth a few bob soon!
  • give the nipples a good soaking in wd40 and hope they undo without buggering your spokes. spiral bladed spokes are not a good look!
  • jpf51
    jpf51 Posts: 35
    I picked up a black front spoke from here http://www.247cycleshop.com/shop/article_1002.001/WH-RS10-Spokes.html?sessid=Bsw45atewb8C02kpMcWx85fFCnN9O0FzrE1Saapcada223fBiGyVJOnIQQCrWmHW&shop_param=cid%3D179%26aid%3D1002.001%26

£5 including delivery. It was my first attempt at replacing a spoke and haven't quite managed to true the wheel by for a fiver I thought I'd give it a go.
    nearly there.