Consumer rights & returns etc

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
Hi all

Hopefully someone can help with my query, for the sake of anonymity I will keep certain aspects a bit vague.

Ok so back in November I purchased a Hybrid bike from a well known bike retailer (National Chain not LBS). The bike arrived with several frame scratches and very poorly assembled (despite the claim that it was 90%) assembled, pretty much every bolt was loose including the square taper crank set bolts and disc brake bolts. I tightened everything up and got some vouchers from the supplier to make up for the damaged frame.

After a few months of regular / normal tarmac riding to and from work I noticed a clicking coming from the chain set area.

Now I have had my fair share of bikes and have a fairly extensive toolkit so I decided to try some obvious fixes, I switched out the pedals to another set and made sure to grease the spindles. The problem remained, I tightened and used maintenance fluid on the seat post and seat but still the issue remained.

Finally I took of the crank arms and chain set and removed the square taper bottom bracket (using a Park tools BB wrench). To my horror I noticed that the bottom bracket had been forcefully screwed in at a off centre angle causing the BB shell to be badly cross threaded this was the obvious cause of the clicking, the bodged BB install had not only cross threaded the BB shell but allowed water to get in and screw the BB causing the clicking in the first place.

I phoned the supplier to explain the situation and given that the bike was still under warranty I am eager to get it fixed under warranty, My guess is the frame is toast so they will need to replace the frame.

My only concern is that the store manager said he cannot guarantee it will be resolved under warranty because I took the BB off myself. Now this annoys me because I have only removed the bottom bracket and the only reason I removed the bottom bracket myself is because I first thought that it was a simple case of removing and re-greasing and also given the state the bike arrived in I am not even slightly confident in the supplier's mechanics.

I have taken pictures of the tool I used and also of the resulting wrecked BB shell I found.

Where do I stand in terms of warranty, If they say that because I removed the BB myself that I am not covered what come back have I got. The bike was not expensive (£350) but none the less I would to know where I stand ?

Thanks

Comments

• mr_eddy
    For reference I am aware of the opposite thread pattern for cranksets and bottom brackets
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Don't know about the warranty issue but just see what the shop offer to do about it I'd say.

Do you not have the original documents that came with the bike? They might throw some light on the warranty issue?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mr_eddy
    Thanks, I have all the documentation including the user manual and in there under the section that says warranty it basically states that if any work carried out (including changing a tyre!) can be considered under the terms of the warranty as unacceptable if not done by their mechanics. Complete rubbish ! Clearly they have just used this wording to cover themselves so that they don't have to actually resolve any problems.

Knowing my luck they will throw the whole claim out of the window and I am gonna get shafted.

I will have to see what happens.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    It might be rubbish but if it's the terms of their warranty you may be in trouble.

I'm sure if it's a reputable manufacturer / retailer then one of them will sort it out for you.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    QQ - how did you pay for your bike ... many debit cards also offer the same protection as credit cards these days - if the retailer is being less than reasonable then you may be able to get your card issuer involved too.

If it was me I'd be talking to the area manager or head office manager - politely - explaining what issues you've had and what you'd like to be done about it.
    I believe (and you need to check) that the UK Sale of Goods Act is in your favour as the bike is still under 6 months - so it is assumed that the bike was already damaged at time of sale, whereas if it was a year down the line then you have to prove that it was their fault ...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    arran77 wrote:
    It might be rubbish but if it's the terms of their warranty you may be in trouble.

I'm sure if it's a reputable manufacturer / retailer then one of them will sort it out for you.

IMHO, the bike is new enough that warranty is irrelevant.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it a cup and cone BB then, otherwise water getting in would have no effect, clicking is most likley bearings so even if it is screwed in at an angle it wouldn't make it click.

Best not to put stuff in they can disprove as it affects your credability on the rest.

It's almost impossible to put a cartridge BB in at an angle, it just cant fit, so more likley its simply not the frame being faced and a non issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.