6 Nats 2014

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Good stuff England - more of that please...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Good to see Ireland playing a game plan straight out of the mid 1980s today. 10 man rugby played to perfection, I'm not sure their backs ever actually put the ball through hands. Wasn't exactly rugby played with panache but fair play, I think they might have actually bored Wales to defeat.
  • ddraver
    That's pretty weak mate, they flipping dominated you in all areas of the pitch today...They thoroughly deserved the victory
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,447
    ddraver wrote:
    Flippin' Nora Ireland where has this come from?!?

They've always been a good tactical team. Unlike Wales who just can't adapt! I actually predicted that pretty well up thread. Wales need to shake things up - Phillips has to go and be replaced with someone who has pace and a good pass, Priestland isn't the answer at 10 and Gethin Jenkins is unfortunately past his prime. World Cup next year so they need to bring new players in now.
  • Pross
    ddraver wrote:
    That's pretty weak mate, they flipping dominated you in all areas of the pitch today...They thoroughly deserved the victory

Is Loretta Welsh? I'd say it was a good summary, it wasn't pretty but it was the exact tactics to play in the conditions and possibly in any conditions against Wales. Starve them of possession and expose their lack of a plan B. I don't think it's a slight on Ireland to say that. On the few occasions Wales put 5 or 6 phases together they looked OK.
  • Ireland were excellent today, there had a plan and executed it brilliantly.

Wales seriously let themselves down by making too many mistakes, and worse, indiscipline.
    The champions have had a much needed kick up the *rse. Hopefully they will respond quickly and positively.

I'm feeling rather nostalgic for the old Peel/Jones HB partnership right now :cry:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Good to see Ireland playing a game plan straight out of the mid 1980s today. 10 man rugby played to perfection, I'm not sure their backs ever actually put the ball through hands. Wasn't exactly rugby played with panache but fair play, I think they might have actually bored Wales to defeat.
    Pretty much it really.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Is Loretta Welsh? I'd say it was a good summary, it wasn't pretty but it was the exact tactics to play in the conditions and possibly in any conditions against Wales. Starve them of possession and expose their lack of a plan B. I don't think it's a slight on Ireland to say that. On the few occasions Wales put 5 or 6 phases together they looked OK.

None of that plan would have worked if the Irish hadn't been able to execute it so well, so they deserve credit for that. I completely agree with your other post about Phillips and Priestland. All MP seems to do these days is take the ball into contact against opposition forwards in my opinion. Nothing wrong with a ball carrying 9, but leave the grunt work to the pack.

I'm hoping the weather stays decent in Paris today, a nice expansive game would be a welcome sight.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    I think Spain will win.

Rugby is a game played by men with odd shaped balls.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • That's more like it 8)
  • Pross
    What a difference two weeks and a change of scrum half makes. It was a strange game though, Wales were by far the better side in all aspects but had very few attacking opportunities. It will be an odd situation tomorrow as Wales need an England win to have their best chance of winning the the title - can I bring myself to want England to win though?
  • England by 1 point would do nicely :twisted:
  • ddraver
    Well that wasnt a bad day to spend at Twickenham!

:D:D:D
    - @ddraver
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    All set up nicely for England vs Wales in a couple of weeks!
  • Garry H
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Not so sure. Ireland still have Italy, a Wales win will probably hand it to the boys in green.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Garry H wrote:
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Not so sure. Ireland still have Italy, a Wales win will probably hand it to the boys in green.

Ireland have also got to play France who are the most unpredictable side in the competition.

England have Wales, and Italy left to play, so, it's still a 4 way battle for the title.

As I see it, if Engalnd beat Wales then they become favourite, but if Wales win then it swings back to Ireland, unless Ireland lose to France.........

Basically, no side has dominated, so it's wide open.

Think Scotland and Italy are out of it mind :wink:
  • Pross
    Ireland's points difference with Italy still to play makes them favourites for me. Wales have no chance of the title without Ireland messing up against France.
  • ddraver
    I may have to retract my earlier comment about Grand Slams/Tournament etc. This year at least will be interesting.

It ll be interesting to see how much Wales are "back" and how much was France being atrocious...cos they really were bad!

No one could begrudge Ireland winning a Tournament for Drico's last year though...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver wrote:
    No one could begrudge Ireland winning a Tournament for Drico's last year though...

I could, I really don't like him.

As for Wales and France, France were dire. Wales were pretty good defensively and once the scrums stopped collapsing the Welsh were very strong there but they don't look the attacking force they have been and lack a bit of flair without Davies or Williams in the centre. They may beat England but they will have to defend extremely well and get themselves a good platform which will be hard based on how England are playing.
  • Garry H
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I could, I really don't like him.
    +1
  • ddraver
    Yah Boo Sucks...
    - @ddraver
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,736
    I think Ireland will be boosting their points difference today. I'm hoping that Scotland finds something against France, or on the other hand they may not need to!

Tomorrow, England are the favourites, if Wales are up for it it should be an interesting game :wink:
  • ddraver
    No way are England favourites to anyone who knows rugby. My prediction is as it was last week that it ll be a tight game, low score probably decided by a penalty kick miss/not missed. As long as England turn up this year I ll be happy...

As an aside - I went to watch England v Wales Women last night at the Stoop. It was a terrible game as it appears Wales arent very good but it was a really fun night. Lots of clubs were there with all their youth teams and all the players came over and chatted to the kids afterwards. Admittedly some sterotypes are stereotypes for a reason however. If you have kids interested in rugby and like most of us can't afford tickets to the big stadium I would really recommend it.
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    ddraver wrote:

As an aside - I went to watch England v Wales Women last night at the Stoop. It was a terrible game as it appears Wales arent very good but it was a really fun night.

Did you get to see the shower rooms after the game?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ddraver
    Good boys! We'll played (though hat tip to Ireland for showing everyone how to beat Warrenball)

BiTTKDuIgAAxGNn.jpg

Curse those frenchies to Hades!!!
    - @ddraver
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Can't beat sticking it to the Boyos :lol:
  • ddraver
    You had your fun last year so I don't feel too bad posting this..

http://instagram.com/p/lfpeTOtde4/

7c328146aae511e381f5124755e97c4e_8.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    English fans should hope that Wales learns nothing from this defeat. After all, it would be digrif dros ben* if England were to be knocked out at the pool stage of their own World Cup next year!

* absolutely tragic
  • Garry H
    RDW wrote:
    English fans should hope that Wales learns nothing from this defeat. After all, it would be digrif dros ben* if England were to be knocked out at the pool stage of their own World Cup next year!

* absolutely tragic

:D
  • ddraver
    I think the only people REALLY reading anything into it are pundits trying to get their articles read online. 12 months ago was a different story, no reason why the story won't be different again in another 12 months (and the rest).

12 months for Warren to come up with a Plan B
    - @ddraver