Favourite Peak District Climbs ?

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
What are yours ? I fancy making a list of them and ticking off the ones I've not ridden this Summer.

I'll start with two
- Froggat up past the Chequers Inn A625 from Calver, probably 4 miles at a fairly consistent gradient opening out at the top onto the moors above Sheffield
- Via Gellia, A5012 from Cromford, probably wouldn't make the list for most people but I just like the fact it's such a long gradual ascent starting down in the valley, tree lined at the bottom and opening up with great views up the top at Pikehall, it's 10 miles from Cromford to the A515 at Newhaven but probably 6-7 miles climbing and then 3-4 miles rolling at the end. Best done at the weekend or Summer evening to avoid the lorries going to the quarry.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• Turning off the Via Gellia to go to Ible about 500m after the Middleton top turn is a nice variation, it become bloody steep, and has a few switchbacks. To avoid the very muddy roads after Ible it is probably best to go back down the same way.
    No segment that I am aware of

If you live down Derby way then Alport Heights from Duffield is a must.
    http://www.strava.com/segments/1147950

My favourite is though is the climb out of Crowdecote
    http://www.strava.com/segments/1456472
  • Obviously avoiding the famous ones such as Cat and Fiddle, Winnats etc. A couple of my favorites are:

Not far from Ladybower reservoir there is New Road (just outside Bamford) that climbs up towards up Stanage Edge that has excellent views as you near the top and you can then have a nice blast along the road that runs underneath Stanage edge.

From the A6 at Rowsley, go up to a village called Alport where the road climbs up through Youlgrave and up onto the Long Rake not far from Monyash. This is a long gradual climb with plenty to look at on the way to take you mind off the pain.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Not done the Bamford climb, keep them coming, famous or not I've not done Snake Pass yet on a bike, anywhere in the Peak though any North of Holme Moss might be a bit far for a day ride.
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    Mam Nick out of the back of Edale - not as steep as Winnats but longer
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Went over Winnats on Saturday and down the other side into Edale - was that Mam Nick? Winnats was a b1tch with a killer headwind, getting up without stopping was the best I coul manage.

Rode from Edale to Sheffield yesterday, there's a nasty climb out of Hathersage but the descent down the other side to Sheffield, complete with a tailwind, but a big smile on my face.

The climb up to Critch (?) tram museum is a good one.
  • The Dale- head through Hathersage towards Sheffield, just before road starts to climb and bends right take a left turn. Nasty climb that comes out under Stannage Edge and links into the New Rd climb mentioned earlier
    Fiddler's Elbow- Stay on the road to Sheffield out of Hathersage (known as Surprise climb) about half way up take left turn signed Ringinglow
    Monsal Head- classic!
    Curbar Edge or Curbar Gap Steep climb out of Curbar village, often used in hill climbs
    Then there are nearly all the roads over Strines etc which would be another list
  • On my door step so I'll give you a few.........

Riber (Matlock), full climb, very tough on the hairpins http://www.strava.com/segments/669111

Beeley, full climb, long and consistent http://www.strava.com/segments/1042137

Bank Road (Matlock), very tough, relentless. http://www.strava.com/segments/2228122
  • BigMat wrote:
    Went over Winnats on Saturday and down the other side into Edale - was that Mam Nick? Winnats was a b1tch with a killer headwind, getting up without stopping was the best I coul manage.

Rode from Edale to Sheffield yesterday, there's a nasty climb out of Hathersage but the descent down the other side to Sheffield, complete with a tailwind, but a big smile on my face.

The climb up to Critch (?) tram museum is a good one.

Good climb, its actually Crich. This is the closest one, you can also keep going around the corner and then on upto the monument (11% ramp) http://www.strava.com/segments/2363182
  • This might be of interest........

http://velotastic.co.uk/peak-district-challenge/
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    RobinB2 wrote:
    Mam Nick out of the back of Edale - not as steep as Winnats but longer

My favourite for sure - only done it once in the past twenty years, but used to ride it several times a month when I was young and lived up there.
  • Wardster00 wrote:
    This might be of interest........

Indeed it is! Thanks, in discussion with club now about doing this. Its just fitting it in!!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Two faves of mine -

Wilboarclough from A54 all the way up to the C+F stunning long steady climb, kicks up a bit at the end but beautiful

The one from Errwood reservoir to the C+F - no traffic, nice and steady and STUNNING!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    Talking of the Peak district, is anyone doing the Wiggle Tour of the Peak (long version)? Have you done it before as I'm considering signing up...
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • Beeley, Longstone Edge, Winster,Wildboarclough, Weaver Hills, Longcliffe, Froggat Edge, Cat & Fiddle (early morning)
  • Gpfanuk wrote:
    Talking of the Peak district, is anyone doing the Wiggle Tour of the Peak (long version)? Have you done it before as I'm considering signing up...

I'm doing it, not done it before. using it as training for C2C in June.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Weaver hills is what - the climb out of Ellastone?
    Winster from the A6 or the Miners Standard climb?

Good list - unfortunately only one I've not done is the Bamford climb mentioned earlier but hey ho. Any lesser known gems out in the Northern Peak or Staffs Moorlands?
  • Weaver Hills is right at Wotton after long drag from Ellastone
    Winster all the way to Grangemill from A6 turn off.

Loads of climbs Near Alton and Oakmoor.
  • Just south of the start of the Via Gelia climb:

Longway Bank from Whatstandwell Bridge on the A6 heading north west up to The Malt Shovel Inn on Wirksworth Moor.

And the minor road from the same junction steeply up to Alderwasley village and beyond.
  • Up to the Gliding Club at Abney from either direction, Derbyshire Bridge to top of Cat and Fiddle and, a bit left-field, Start Lane cobbles from Kettleshume.... fond of Mam Nick from Edale though but only because I have the KOM from Hope to the top :wink:
  • DeVlaeminck
    Makes you realise how small the Peak is as apart from two these are all regular features of my riding. Thought of another one that may be new to some - the road up past the quarry at Ballidon, gated at the top and bottom - getting a bit rough but one less travelled.
  • onemoresolo
    onemoresolo Posts: 372
    Wardster00 wrote:
    This might be of interest........

Anyone fancy plotting a route that takes all of these in? :D
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Where do you want to start at...If you do the Peak Epic sportive - Might tick quite a few off...
  • onemoresolo
    I guess Sheffield is a logical starting point. The major challenges to me look like taking in Winnats and Mam Nick if you want to climb them both the "right" way, and getting up the Cat and Fiddle from the Macc side.

Not sure if it's possible to avoid going up and down the same climbs at some point.
  • Following this thread closely. Don't know the area at all but I am coming up there for a stag at the start of May and staying just outside Tideswell. Debating coming up a night early with one of the bikes and doing some riding.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Following this thread closely. Don't know the area at all but I am coming up there for a stag at the start of May and staying just outside Tideswell. Debating coming up a night early with one of the bikes and doing some riding.

If you don't you will never know what you have missed.
  • lesfirth wrote:
    Following this thread closely. Don't know the area at all but I am coming up there for a stag at the start of May and staying just outside Tideswell. Debating coming up a night early with one of the bikes and doing some riding.

True. Just switching my road bike from a compact chainset to a standard so will be a challenge compared to the rolling hills we have down here in Hampshire.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    lesfirth wrote:

True. Just switching my road bike from a compact chainset to a standard so will be a challenge compared to the rolling hills we have down here in Hampshire.

Winnats on a double - ouch. Maybe because both times I've done it there has been a driving headwind, but even on a compact it hurt like hell. Now gutted I didn't do Mam Nick out of Edale :(
  • onemoresolo
    Mam Nick is a much nicer climb than Winnats but a little less famous and slightly easier going.
  • Wardster00
    Wardster00 Posts: 143
    This isn't strictly the Peak District but it's very close. I rode this climb yesterday and it's a cracker.

2.3miles long with an average grade of 7%. It starts off steep and feels like a series of ramps and then a bit of a drag towards the top. I combined it with a climb of Star Bank and both of them are pretty testing.

http://www.strava.com/segments/2579057
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Gpfanuk wrote:

Did it in 2012 on an extremely hot day - tough ride made even worse by dehydration. Some great climbs though!