Fixing Heel Rub

bill_gates
bill_gates Posts: 469
edited April 2014 in Workshop
While cleaning today I've noticed I have quite severe heel rub scuffs on my front crank-arm on the drive-side.

Although cosmetic, it is noticeable and has anyone got any tips on how to mask this? It is Black Shimano 105 but now has a large silver/grey area where I obviously have been scuffing this with my heel.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

Comments

• There is nothing you can do... you have to resign to the fact that black metal does not exist outside the music scene and black coats wear off... if it bothers you get a silver chainset next time
    left the forum March 2023
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Sharpie.

Next time, use helicopter tape.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Get some black car spray. Carefully mask a neatly shaped area that covers all the rubbed area and spray.

Then get some helicopter tape and cut it to the same shape as the resprayed area and apply. It should look pretty much exactly the same as it would have if you'd used helicopter tape in the first place.

Silver chainsets are worse than black. Once the anodised layer wears then the only way to get the finish back is to get them repolished.

Best are carbon - a new coat of lacquer will look identical to the original finish.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

Silver chainsets are worse than black. Once the anodised layer wears then the only way to get the finish back is to get them repolished.

My silver cranks are polished... 8)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

My silver cranks are polished... 8)

Yes, but if you do that to your modern Campag cranks, nobody will be able to tell if you bought Veloce, Centaur or Athena and that would be a disaster!

Is the finish laquered at all or does it just manage to stay bright and shiny?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Dunno... it's a Dura Ace 7410... only top notch stuff, me... :mrgreen:

fugio_zpsad4b8194.jpg
  • lawn needs cutting, But I like the cable cutters!
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Has your drive side chainstay been rubbed to? Pedals with longer spindles or adjust cleats so your heel cant move inwards. Are you wearing MTB shoes?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Found that my cleats had worn and with a new set of cleats and some pedal tightening, I no longer have any rub but the damage is already done now. Tried a permanent marker pen but this looks like it will just come off in wet weather although it was indelible.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."