Another dead.

Comments

• Living near and working in London, I don't hear of cycling fatalities around the country, unless people like you guys post them here, so thanks for that in the first instance. Each one is a sad sad story in its own right; the guy in Warrington, killed at 6:30am, presumably cycling to work, like many of us do every day of the week.....

I also wonder what the statistics are for cycling fatalities per year, country-wide - anybody have the relevant website or information available?

God bless all.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DFT produce all sorts of information on the accidents reported each year....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Very sad... Thoughts to the families
  • Raymondo60 wrote:
    Living near and working in London, I don't hear of cycling fatalities around the country, unless people like you guys post them here, so thanks for that in the first instance. Each one is a sad sad story in its own right; the guy in Warrington, killed at 6:30am, presumably cycling to work, like many of us do every day of the week.....

I also wonder what the statistics are for cycling fatalities per year, country-wide - anybody have the relevant website or information available?

God bless all.

Was 120 last year, as with London only deaths it's quite a low figure so both tend to be used to prop up theory's rather than the other way round as you where.

Sadly bloggers and Politician tend to want to well play politics.
  • I think 120 cycling deaths is 120 too many, I bet all of them were preventable as well. Its a total tragedy for all those people and their families.
  • I think 120 cycling deaths is 120 too many, I bet all of them were preventable as well. Its a total tragedy for all those people and their families.

Clearly its a tragedy, but unless we get rid of the car/van etc we might be able to reduce the number by how much? even in cycle friendly Netherlands the number isn't zero, though it appears though the fog of lies damn lies and statistics to be twice as safe, though one should always be wary of simple answers to complex questions.
  • There are about 160 or so cycling deaths in the Netherlands every year but as you say, you can slice or dice statistics different ways depending on what point you want to make.

A UK government person once used deaths per head of population and unsurprisingly the UK comes out ahead of the Netherlands using this figure but it isn't very meaningful as hardly anyone in the UK cycles but just about everyone in the Netherlands does.

A high proportion of the Dutch cyclist deaths are young children and the elderly. Not really surprising but in the Netherlands, these age groups do cycle while in the UK, in general, they don't.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cycling deaths as 120 of a whole of around 2500 would suggest (logically) other issues which will have a bigger impact are looked at first...... (e.g. Drink driving)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.