Ultimate Bling Vanity...Is it worth it?

kammybear
kammybear Posts: 500
edited February 2014 in MTB general
Guys, I was just shopping around looking to customise my new bike. My chosen colour scheme is black white and orange to match my bike.

I already bought grips from superstar...orange grip with black collars but now want an orange handlebar rather than white as planned...grips were only £7 so no big loss....

The lizardskins northshore caught my eye so I went on their website and discovered they allow FULL customisation! I can have a black grip with orange collars...each collar can even be a different colour plus the end cap as well! They also let you lazer engrave the collars!!! Comes to £30ish inc delivery from the US...I thinking its only really a £10 premium...?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don't forget the inport tax and VAT.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    You lost me when you mentioned 'colour schemes'

I expect you can get matching lippy and nail gloss from House of Fraser too
  • I think I might risk it come pay day :D

Less likely to get stung if you go for cheapy postage I suppose but RM like their £12 admin fee :evil:
  • BigAl wrote:

Dont hate the player, hate the game!

Everyone needs their racing colours! At llandegla today I saw a dude in neon green shorts to match his grips, pedals and helmet!
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    kammybear wrote:
    BigAl wrote:

Everyone needs their racing colours! At llandegla today I saw a dude in neon green shorts to match his grips, pedals and helmet!
    What you do with a 'dude' with a neon green helmet is your business!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I suggest penicillin.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Function over appearance every time. You can't see it when you're riding it.
    I just get whatever colour is cheapest, usually black.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    kammybear wrote:
    BigAl wrote:

I got lime green 661 Freeride jersey and matching green camo 661 Freeride shorts for christmas, to match my green grips and my bike's green decals (but my Giro Feature lid is black). I'm gonna look such a div riding like a grandma in such a lairy outfit, but I don't care :lol:

As for the grips question - you can get black grips with orange collars cheap from Superstar (or Uberbike) too...
  • I used to buy shiny stuff but to be honest it just looks dull once it gets scratched, dirty, banged off rocks etc. so I don't bother anymore. Black or silver is just fine for me!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    A little bling is ok, but some people take it to far. I think the £50-£60 you will end up paying for some customised grips isn't worth it imo.

Having said that, it's your money so do what the hell you want :D
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • The Dutch speed skaters could advise
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you buy a bike to coo over it then bling makes sense if you ride it with the intention of occassionally getting it wrong and crashing then no - buy functional stuff that is tough and inexpensive and ride it like you stole it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.