Can't Climb For Toffee !!!

celf-fella
celf-fella Posts: 28
edited February 2014 in Health, fitness & training
I need some advice.....

I live in a smallish town in the Peaks with loads of trails close by. To reach any of these trails a climb of some sort is involved. Some short and sharp, some long but arduous. The problem is that i just don't seem to have the strength or stamina to complete a climb. I end up driving to a "start point" where the hard part is done. I know you will say whats the point of that, you need to build up the stamina etc, but, if i don't, I am to exhausted to enjoy the ride.
I am no spring chicken (late 40's), but healthy and reasonable shape...for my age.

any advice on the best way to improve both stamina and leg strength. I assume the two are linked?

I keep using the excuse "that's why it's called a push bike"......but it's wearing a bit thin now :oops:

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Hill climbing in the peaks is about fitness, technique, confidence and choosing the right gear. Going up steep hills is hard work.

The best thing to do is just ride and build up your fitness. If you keep doing the same hills eventually you will learn when to push hard and when to ease off. Use whichever gear is easiest and this will help build your confidence. As you get fitter you will recover a lot faster from hill climbs.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Are you climbing straight away as soon as your on the bike. If you are that could be your problem your body needs to be prepared for the shock of climbing. You need to warm up and if possible do a couple of miles before you start climbing. You might have got away with it when you were young but late 40s everything is sluggish till warmed up :oops:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    Are you climbing straight away as soon as your on the bike. If you are that could be your problem your body needs to be prepared for the shock of climbing. You need to warm up and if possible do a couple of miles before you start climbing. You might have got away with it when you were young but late 40s everything is sluggish till warmed up :oops:

Yep, it's pretty much straight away. To get out of town, I have to climb !

I think that as Kajjal suggested, that I just keep trying and it will get easier. I do have my seat up, bum on the nose of the seat, and try to maintain a comfortable cadence.......must be my age
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you just keep trying harder without doing a proper warm it wont get easier you will just ruin yourself. You must warm up if you cant do that on the road/trail then get yourself an exercise bike and do it on that or get yourself a set of rollers for an on bike warm up. Pro road, track and MTB riders dont just jump on the bike and go 10 tenths because they know they will injure themselves and wont give the best preformance. You need to prepare your body for the effort thats coming.

A warm down is essential as well I see riders slog up a climb jump off the bike get in the car drive home and wonder why they ache like hell the next day.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap