Bike Radar Spring Fling 2014. May 11th

OK,
we're having a spring get-together on the 11th of May.
60 miles ride in Oxfordshire/Warwickshire with a bit of ups and downs, if you scroll down the thread you'll find the link to the mapped ride.
It takes in some of the stunning Sustrand cycling route no. 5... it goes down (better than up) Edge Hill and it's mostly run on quiet traffic free lanes.

Coffee break to be announced close to the event, once the number of takers is confirmed
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you do and it does not clash with the racing I am doing I am always up for riding somewhere new.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I might be tempted... 10-11th of May would be my preferred option.
    There is a nice loop that takes in some of the Sustrand cycling route no. 5... it's about 60 quiet miles loop starting a few miles west of Bicester
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I may be tempted as well, depends on work load, but mark me in as a possible.
  • Velonutter wrote:

Great... let's see where this one goes... if you come with Super Record EPS, I'll come with Super Record 1979 and show you there has been no improvement since... :wink:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:

Great... let's see where this one goes... if you come with Super Record EPS, I'll come with Super Record 1979 and show you there has been no improvement since... :wink:

Cheeky Bugger, you know you will climb better than me anytime, I think you should ride it on a fixed say 50x13, that will sort you out!!! :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'm too unfit to play out after last years' illness wiped me out :(
    It explains why I was sooooo bad on last year's Spring Fling.
    I'm slowly trying to claw back some ability, just about managing 2hrs at a recovery pace on the flat at the moment. (I can sprint like a demon though!)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Velonutter
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm too unfit to play out after last years' illness wiped me out :(
    It explains why I was sooooo bad on last year's Spring Fling.
    I'm slowly trying to claw back some ability, just about managing 2hrs at a recovery pace on the flat at the moment. (I can sprint like a demon though!)

Nap, don't worry, after the nasty crash I had last July and then stabilising on my new drugs and also losing my MoJo I'm as slow as anything, just come along for a steady ride and we'll keep together, it's only 60 miles so if we ride at even 15mph then it will be fine.
  • Velonutter wrote:
    Cheeky Bugger, you know you will climb better than me anytime,

True... :wink:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:

So your riding it on a fixed then Ugo?
  • Velonutter wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

So your riding it on a fixed then Ugo?

Not a fixed, no... going down Edge hill on a fixed wouldn't be fun... but if someone is so keen as to lend me a single speed, then I'm game
    But that would be my personal challenge rather than an enjoyable day out for all...
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    What is this – a forum member ride? How many people take part?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • napoleond
    Yes.
    We've had between 15 and 30 each year.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Well, if you (NapD) are not doing one up north and you don't mind me nicking the "trade name", I'll go ahead with this... for the 11th of May... it's a real nice ride for southern standards
  • napoleond
    Crack on!
    I may even show up if I'm off and I'm fit!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cycleclinic
    A saturday run is out for me. Sundays is all I can do. I also have no problem putting a route together for a summer fling up Dalham wall for example and my other favourite climbs such as they are in Suffolk.
  • A saturday run is out for me. Sundays is all I can do. I also have no problem putting a route together for a summer fling up Dalham wall for example and my other favourite climbs such as they are in Suffolk.

11th of May is sunday...
  • cycleclinic
    No races I want to do that weekend either.
  • No races I want to do that weekend either.

There you go... no more excuses... :wink:
  • cycleclinic
    Well if you let me know where it is I'll be there.
  • Depends on the number of people... most likely Lower Hayford west of Bicester, which has a decent car park, which can be easily reached from the M 40
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Should be in!
  • Can you guys see it? Can you convert it into a GPX file?

http://www.strava.com/routes/181889

I have never used Strava before and I am completely useless... :oops:
  • Can you guys see it?
    Yes
    Can you convert it into a GPX file?
    Yes :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • If I'm not offshore for work, I might join in. Is it a flat out blast or more leisurely paced?

Ben
  • napoleond
    Supposed to be leisurely paced but last year a few egos got in the way hence I'm not doing it this year

:in a huff:
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Velonutter
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Supposed to be leisurely paced but last year a few egos got in the way hence I'm not doing it this year

:in a huff:

Nah Nap, stay back with me and enjoy it.
  • napoleond
    It's my mrs' birthday weekend so I'd get shot! Heh heh
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Leisurely paced... probably average around 15 to 16 mph. We can do a couple of bursts from Edge hill to Kineton and maybe a sprint to the finish... but other than that it's quite rolling and lumpy and not particularly suited to big speeds
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    This is almost local, could ride to the start, which is always a plus. I'm in subject to the usual.

Paul