Pressure washing

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited February 2014 in MTB general
Morning all. Happy weekend - nice weather for a ride up here :D

Anyway I did dalby red during the week and it was pretty boggy and sandy so I and my bike were in a right state when we finished. Does anyone use pressure washers to clean their bikes?

My concern is the pressure drives water into hard to reach places. Am I being a bit OTT?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Pressure washers are very bad for bearings. They can blast water past the seals and wash out grease.
  • That's what I thought rockmonkey.

How do people get rid of all the sand and sh1t after a boggy trail run??
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hose pipe and a bucket of soapy water and a sponge.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    This ^^^^^

I use a watering can instead of the hose but thats because I am lazy.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I've seen a few guys out there doing the pressure washing the bike lark,
    a few weeks later the picture below is the result
    shiny frame and nice shiny square wheels, so for round wheels sake put the lance down.
    d5ae77a8-b361-4c2b-ac06-4345710f62ac.img
  • I use pressure washers or steam but on a low pressure with a wide spread so it wont push past tge seals if I mistakingky hit the bearing.

Keep away from bearings and chains though.
    My cube is still on it original bearings, it is 4 yrs old, so even if they do go baggy im sure they are due anyway. I ride several times a week and wash it regularly.

I do lube it thouroughly afterwards though.
  • How come most trail centres use pressure washers then? I use them, but stand a fair distance away from my bike
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    KevChallis wrote:
    How come most trail centres use pressure washers then? I use them, but stand a fair distance away from my bike

Perish the thought but possibly the shiny pound coin you put in the machine. Ooh I am such a cynic.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    KevChallis wrote:
    How come most trail centres use pressure washers then? I use them, but stand a fair distance away from my bike

Perish the thought but possibly the shiny pound coin you put in the machine. Ooh I am such a cynic.

There is a high chance you may be right lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Nothing wrong with them done properly.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Nothing wrong with them done properly.

The term 'pressure washer' is a bit misleading, as it's more about what PSI it's pumping out rather than just it's a pressure washer.

Mobi/Nomads are pressure washers put pump out safe levels of PSI. (got a Nomad 18v, it's an awesome bit of kit)

You can do it with a high level PSI just be careful where you're aiming at, don't shoot straight at the bearings and stand well back with it.
  • Bike place at dalby use the 'pressure washers' for hire bikes but those bikes are not in great nick a mate hired one and the chain snapped twice! Good advert for washing with bucket and sponge methinks.

The only pressure washer I have is quite high pressure and is not adjustable :-(
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    What about a garden hose with one of those ends where you can vary the water down to a strong jet? While not a pressure washer it can still give you quite a jet. Too much, or O.K?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use one of those, and like to see how fast I can make the pedals spin, because I am a bit juvenile.

The very high pressure lances at car washes are a bit much, but otherwise I don't see a problem.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cooldad wrote:
    I use one of those, and like to see how fast I can make the pedals spin, because I am a bit juvenile.

Ah ha! So I'm not the only one who does that! :lol:
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad wrote:

Ah ha! So I'm not the only one who does that! :lol:

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow :lol:
  • They spin fukking fast
  • and the wheels spin super fast and spray like mohicans when the bike is upside down!
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Just to irritate everyone i'd like to point out i use a pressure washer all the time on my bike and it hasn't caused any issues in four years.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    edited February 2014
    cooldad wrote:

I do that too. And with my drier.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    and the wheels spin super fast and spray like mohicans when the bike is upside down!

And that. :lol: Plus, if i point my drier at the cranks at the right angle it makes a noise like blowing across the neck of a bottle.
  • Who knew washing a bike was so much fun!!
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    Hose pipe with me finger over the end for a 'high pressure' jet...then bounce the bike up and down to get rid of excess water,then blow it off with my small bence compresor,then lube it all with new chainsaw oil.Perfect!