Get me off my fat erse

michaeldobson
michaeldobson Posts: 7
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
I am 50 and therein lies the problem.

I need convincing that at 50 and having given up cycling since I was 45 (due to having to sell my bike) I can still get fit enough to enjoy the hard work I associate with getting fit enough to enjoy cycling again. That might not make any sense.

If there are any other old lads or lassies out there give me a nudge. I need it.

Mike

Comments

• Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    Forgive the gentle ribbing Michael Slobson, Long time dead as they say, have you forgot that strong headwind, the rain lashing down, that warm bath, aching legs, and the fact that it made you feel so alive !
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • you make good points, I used to love all that stuff, and the rasping lung ache and the thudding heart rate at the top of every climb and the added inches of view over hedges and fields and the slightly superior feeling to passing cars and smoking drivers and the I actually did that look back at the map of the ride

good points

and yet...
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    You could try and find a cycling partner, as a commitment to somebody else gives you more incentive to get up and go, try setting yourself a goal, a sportive perhaps, if you saw a young person sat in front of an X box all day would you encourage them to get out and do something else, you probably would, now encourage yourself to get back in the saddle.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • I am 50 and therein lies the problem.
    Wrong.

The problem is that you imagine that being 50 is a problem.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
    Wrong.

I concede that completely. I had a small adrenaline surge about half an hour ago so I went outside to check on my poor winter bike. It's still there.
    Wrong.

I concede that completely. I had a small adrenaline surge about half an hour ago so I went outside to check on my poor winter bike. It's still there.

Pump the tyres up, stick some lube on the chain and get out there then, you lazy git :)

It's a lovely day - I did 50 miles this morning (slowly, admittedly), and I'm 51 (having started riding a road bike 18 months ago, not having ridden a bike for 25 years before that !!!! :P )
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    62 here, just about to complete 10,000 strava miles. Not a prob for me...
  • daviegb
    daviegb Posts: 126
    I'm going to be 50 in less than two weeks & on my ride today I clocked personal bests for 3 different climbs around Cheddar(including the Gorge). I only started riding in 2008 & thoroughly enjoy every minute of every ride - 970 outdoor miles so far this year!

Find yourself a riding buddy & get back out - whatever you do, don't let your age be an excuse ;) !!!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Move it fatty (does that help)?
  • Mikey23
    ... Probably not!
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I was at the top of the Col du Galibier a couple of years ago and got chatting to a couple from Lancashire who had been cyclists their whole life and had cycled all over the Alps. They were both in their seventies but very fit and healthy. I don't imagine they ride very fast but they ride and that's what's important. Meeting them was inspirational to me and reminded me to keep at it as I'd like to be still riding the Galibier at that age. You might be slower but keep going and in 20 years you might be cycling in the Alps rather than struggling to climb the stairs.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    The minute you take your bike out you will join only 15% of the population who exercise regularly and at 50 that figure is probably more like only 2%.

In doing so you will decrease your risk to Coronary Heart disease and pre cursors such as high blood pressure and obesity by four fold.

Could you include cycling in your work commute? Do you have kids/ family you could get out on the bike with

Or do you actually crave some free time and head space for yourself. Cycling actually improves mental health and function as well.

Find a riding partner as others have said, Its the best motivation and a good social activity.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ing-23965/
  • Mikey23
    And you get the chance to wear tight Lycra and shave your legs...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Mikey23 wrote:
    And you get the chance to wear tight Lycra and shave your legs...

This is what worries me about some road bikers :o

Just get out there and start riding , once the good weather gets here you will be fit enough to enjoy it ;)
  • Mr Wand. You have unlocked the door. Great advice. I thank you.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Mikey23 wrote:
    62 here, just about to complete 10,000 strava miles. Not a prob for me...

1. Whats the difference between a Strava mile and an ordinary mile?
    2. 10,000 / 46.... = 217 miles a year > cracking average
    3. You never mentioned the accidents. 1 per 1000 miles or 1 every 5 years for you.
    4. You failed to mention the metalwork - keeping WD40 in business single handidly.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I am a miserable old git and I endorse Tim Wand's comments. Ride for the heck of it. No-one will take the mick.

Ride 'cos you like it. Not 'cos other people say you should. See you out on the road, fella.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Mr Wand. You have unlocked the door. Great advice. I thank you.
    Blimey, I wasn't expecting logic to work. Shame really, abuse was much more fun ;)

Good luck with it, Mike.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    WTF are you gonna be like when you're old? Just get out there, it's not as if the weather is bad or nuffin :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Hi,
    68 this year, did over 2000mls last year, enjoyed it all even the pain.

Only been back on a bike for the last couple of years after almost a 50 year break, so if I can do it so can you and some !

The most amazing thing for an old fart like me has been how well my body has responded to all the exercise, makes me feel like a teenager again, at least when I am on the bike. So go for it and enjoy.
  • Mikey23
    Excellent, 62 here ...I feel like a teenager until I look in the mirror
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm 56 and been back on a road bike for 6 years now. Just do it, you'll not regret it.

I occasionally feel like a teenager too. Unfortunately they're all too quick for me :D