Trofeo Laigueglia *spoiler*

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,104
edited February 2014 in Pro race
A great little race this, traditionally the Italian season opener and with a glittering list of former winners. It's held in Laigueglia, a small resort on the Ligurian coast and on the Milan-San Remo route.

Serpa wins, outsprinting Sinkewitz, who doesn't seem at all happy about it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt9oqLqYyvo

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Apparently Serpa sat on Sinkewitz when he caught him as Ulissi was in the main field just behind.
  • Nice by Serpa.

That Sinkewitz who was (and likely still is) a hardcore doper: Blood transfusion, EPO, Cortisone, HGH, Testosterone...the works.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Once a doper always a doper eh FF?
  • andyp wrote:
    Apparently Serpa sat on Sinkewitz when he caught him as Ulissi was in the main field just behind.

I've just watched Rai's highlights which were poor by their standards.
    Two cameras, but the one on the chasing bunch was permanently out of focus.

Yup.
    Sinkewitz towed Serpa Perez (who has never been averse to sitting on) for 15 kms.
    The bunch only managed to take back 25 seconds after the 10 km to go mark.
    There were several Lampre riders in that group which legitimised the tactics up front.
    At the finish, the German sat up and gave the Lampre rider a two thumbs down.
    Tense podium presentation with Sinkewitz visible still miffed.
    Which can be seen, here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MW0j6hG14Y
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Poor Sinkewitz. Not a lot of fun when someone wins a race in a less than fair way.

Eh, Patrick?
  • 45mins:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lje9IbZLsM

Photos:
    http://www.steephill.tv/2014/trofeo-lai ... s/page-01/
    (Patrick S has a very odd style on the bike)

240-PIC436895753.jpg
    324-PIC436813986.jpg
    410-PIC436875683.jpg

“Sinkewitz was the strongest on the climbs but [Matteo] Rabottini and I were able to struggle and hold on,” Serpa told Italian website Tutto Bici. “I was struggling but stayed in his slipstream. I was even dropped at two kilometres out, but luckily Sinkewitz didn’t notice and even lowered the pace. I was able to get on and not even work because I had [Diego] Ulissi behind who could win. The sprint was easy, Sinkewitz was very tired.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • So the guy has a bad history and may still be on it but he rode a great race today and was super strong to hold off the chasers for ages solo. No respect to Serpa for this win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    So the guy has a bad history and may still be on it but he rode a great race today and was super strong to hold off the chasers for ages solo. No respect to Serpa for this win.

He did his job.

If Sinkowitz was bothered with him sitting in he had two choices - drop him, or stop working. He didn't, he just carried on towing him. Only got himself to blame.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Every single rider that goes in a break could argue not to work because they have a team mate behind. It is a BS excuse unless there is GC involved.

No respect to Serpa.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Every single rider that goes in a break could argue not to work because they have a team mate behind. It is a BS excuse unless there is GC involved.

No respect to Serpa.

That depends on what calibre the riders behind are. It's not an excuse, it's a tactic. And it worked. Serpa got a free ride to a victory. Because Sinkowitz decided he'd give him one.
  • He got a win yes - but he gets zero respect for it. Serpa is a high calibre rider and often rides for the win in these small Italian races even with Cunego racing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Fair enough if you don't like how Serpa did it, but Sinkowitz's petty display on the podium was awful. He got played like an amateur and whinged about it.