Bike Thievery again

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited May 2014 in Pro race
According to Gregor Brown, thieves stole €100k worth of bikes incl Sagan's, pls equipment, from Cannondale's base in Italy on Tue night

Comments

• Astonishing how weak the security seems to be.
    Contador is the Greatest

Hmm. I was just thinking that it all kicked off at exactly this time last year with Garmin's truck being robbed at Tour Med. That's a whole 12 months of theft after theft for teams to have got their security sorted out.

Hmm. I was just thinking that it all kicked off at exactly this time last year with Garmin's truck being robbed at Tour Med. That's a whole 12 months of theft after theft for teams to have got their security sorted out.

Security does seem poor. You's have thought that all the teams would chip in a few bob each to pay a firm to mind all the trucks at the races unless there are any extenuating logisitical reasons why it can't be done.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Cannondale's theft was at their base, so you'd have thought they'd have upped their service course's security themselves
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    How many frames does that cover...10?
    Half man, Half bike
  • Any theories on what they do with the bikes? A straight strip down and sell for parts I assume as selling them as ex-team would be too obvious? Shame really as an ex-Sagan bike would be cool.
    @JaunePeril

• Any theories on what they do with the bikes? A straight strip down and sell for parts I assume as selling them as ex-team would be too obvious? Shame really as an ex-Sagan bike would be cool.
    Would probably depend. A sophisticated operation, yeah, almost certainly--I can't think of any better way to maximize profit and maintain, uh, operational security. And dump the frames, or sit on them for a year or two then sell them slowly. Like, you'd buy a well-priced frame in last year's team colors on ebay, then find when you get it that 'Peter Sagan' is painted on. What are you gonna do, ask for a refund? Call the cops? What are they gonna do? They might take your new bike! Ha.

But, at the other end of the spectrum, a gang of lucky, lazy idiots? Sell them on the street, and/or via a craigslist-equivalent, and/or to pawn shops for cheap, to people who know no better than that they're getting a good deal.

Either way or any inbetween, they won't get a hundred-thousand fcking euros for them. If they try to sell them now, complete, on a high-visibility platform like ebay, they'll get done. I'd think--but I've heard things about the Italian justice system.

And all this is just speculation.
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Any theories on what they do with the bikes? A straight strip down and sell for parts I assume as selling them as ex-team would be too obvious? Shame really as an ex-Sagan bike would be cool.
    They probably end up in Eastern Europe. Sold cheap to Russian MAMILs. Just like how most stolen Mercedes seem to end up in Albania. They'll have a buyer before then steal them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Last year, apparantly Garmin had locked the truck up and parked the team car in front of the doors.

The thieves broke into the car, slipped it into neutral before moving it forward and stealing the bikes. Then, they rolled the car back so as not to arouse suspicion.

These are professionals, they know what they're doing
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,214
    Last year, apparantly Garmin had locked the truck up and parked the team car in front of the doors.

The thieves broke into the car, slipped it into neutral before moving it forward and stealing the bikes. Then, they rolled the car back so as not to arouse suspicion.

Never got this.

If you really take your work seriously, as these people obviously do, then why put all that effort into something criminal?

They're obviously capable of getting a real job.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    Last year, apparantly Garmin had locked the truck up and parked the team car in front of the doors.

Never got this.

If you really take your work seriously, as these people obviously do, then why put all that effort into something criminal?

They're obviously capable of getting a real job.

Non transferable skills? What do you think their CVs look like?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Non transferable skills? What do you think their CVs look like?

Fairly similar to George Osborne's I'd imagine.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Another theft - Sky this time at Haut Var. They might have to pull out of the race.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • It seems to be one team of professional operators.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Who was that guy Rayjay said supplied copies of bikes for the whole peleton? Maybe business is a bit slow so he's 'creating' a demand for his unique service ...
  • Apparently Sky will ride after being given replacements by other teams.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Another theft - Sky this time at Haut Var. They might have to pull out of the race.

Getting a bit ridiculous now.

They need an outlet for selling...the authorities should crack down on finding that link.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Guess with carbon bikes you can't electrify them whilst in storage...
  • RichN95 wrote:

Getting a bit ridiculous now.

They need an outlet for selling...the authorities should crack down on finding that link.

They're most likely shipped somewhere outside of the reach of Europol cooperation. Probably in a container at Marseille or Genova waiting to be shipped to China as I type. Like the large scale mafia operation of a few years ago that saw land rovers all over Europe stripped and shipped to West Africa within 24 hours of being stolen.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    Apparently Sky will ride after being given replacements by other teams.

Hope they got some from Raleigh. Would be superb to see Sky on Raleigh bikes :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I'm wonder if some manufacturers are starting to worry if they are NOT the target of thieves? Anyone ran off with the Meridas yet?

Of course no-one will be stealing Fabu's bike as the motor makes it too heavy too push away from the truck...
    @JaunePeril

• I'm wonder if some manufacturers are starting to worry if they are NOT the target of thieves? Anyone ran off with the Meridas yet?

Of course no-one will be stealing Fabu's bike as the motor makes it too heavy too push away from the truck...

I was thinking of an alternative scenario for the moto-bike. Some happy customer somewhere with his lovely new Trek just like the pros ride suddenly finding himself dropping all his mates and wondering where the extra speed and power comes from when he presses that magic button...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    They need to employ those bikers they use in the TDF that camp in the wigwams as private security.

This is just a joke now, you would think the insurance companies would tell them to do one if they didn't sort it out. They're worth a fortune and getting frequently, surely security would be ramped up?

Must be stolen to order. I can picture a peloton of Russian oligarch Mamils rolling around on team issue Pinarellos...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Just a thought, it doesn't take Horatio Caine to work out if you put a GPS trackers on them every night or even put a sodding alarm on them they might have a chance of finding /catching them. "Oh look the alarm has gone off or the GPS tracker has moved, probably should check that out..."
  • Good point about gps trackers. They have them in american races so dont think its that difficult to put them on.
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Must be stolen to order. I can picture a peloton of Russian oligarch Mamils rolling around on team issue Pinarellos...

:lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Good point about gps trackers. They have them in american races so dont think its that difficult to put them on.
    Paul 8v wrote:

:lol:

Oligarchs don't need to steal bikes....
  • Ha yes good point...
    Contador is the Greatest

I was thinking of an alternative scenario for the moto-bike. Some happy [customer] [Kenyan][Belgian Aussie-Brit] somewhere with his lovely new Trek [Pinarello] just like the pros ride suddenly finding himself dropping all his [team]mates and wondering where the extra speed and power comes from when he presses [consumes] that magic [button][potion]...

Fixed with alternatives just so that those who only post on one subject matter can join in
    @JaunePeril

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Our boys Bretange seche Environnment to the rescue.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamSky/photos ... =1&theater
  • Apparently Sky will ride after being given replacements by other teams.

There were two bikes left then they got 5 from their base in Nice and the 8th came from Seche.
    http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 56,00.html
    Contador is the Greatest