new hardrock sport (what model?)

goatherbs
goatherbs Posts: 20
edited February 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I have just bought a hardrock sport off of a mate. Just wondering how i find out what model it is so I can be fully involved with forum talk ;)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    http://www.bikepedia.com/

Or Specialized website
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • so the only way is to search through hundreds of bikes to find out what mine is? Are there any signs to help me figure year or anything to narrow it down. I'll attach a picture, I imagine you might know a lot more if you can see the bike
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Shesh has an archive look at that.

but it looks like it has had quite a bit of changes doing on.

and get that saddle set correctly. no wonder you are not comfortable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I hope it was cheap, otherwise not much of a mate!

Frame looks to be from a 2008 Pro Disc, Forks and stem at least have been changed as yours is threaded steerer.
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/ ... ockprodisc
    Also the wheels look to have rim brake compatable rims meaning they have been changed, in fact I'd suggest this is a build up on a Hardrock frame and not a production bike at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It's looking like a bit of a frankenbike from that pic.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The Rookie wrote:
    Forks and stem at least have been changed as yours is threaded steerer.

In that pic it almost looks a bit like someone's stuck a quill stem in a threadless steerer :shock:
  • The Rookie
    Something's up, pics not good enough to be sure, I thought it was an excess of threaded steerer sticking up.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Does look more quill shoved in.

Wonder how it's pre-tensioned?
  • 97th choice
    That could be a bit deadly.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • It was cheap but i did think i had a good deal on it which i think is probably not true now lol. He is very much a tinkerer so i would imagine he enjoyed changing parts more than actually riding it.

I'm new to all this so i don't really know what you're actually talking about for most of this but it sounds like i have a bit of a task on my hands (which i look forward to) I quite like the frame tho, its nice and light so i think i can build from that but where do i start?
  • cooldad
    First you have to work out what's what.
    Spend some time on Parktools and work out what you have, especially the stem. If the guys above are seeing it right you have a potentially dangerous problem.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I see what you're saying about the forks now. is that a problem that can be solved with some new forks or would it have ruined the frame?
  • if i buy a threadless steerer would this be ok? or will i need to buy new forks?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The steerer is part of the forks.
  • cooldad
    You could get a threaded headset.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    Need better pics, but it could be a case of fitting a star nut to the fork, and getting a suitable stem to fit. Although you'll also need a top cap and maybe spacers.

You really need to have a read of park tools or Sheldon brown to understand a bit more about bikes

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Yeah i certainly feel like I'm jumping in at the deep end now. I was of the belief i had quite a nice bike till I entered into this. It seems to ride ok so i'll keep on riding it lightly and just try and learn more about bikes. I'm working away atm but i'll try and get some better pictures up soon. Thanks for the pointers guys, anymore advice is more than welcome!
  • 97th choice
    Keep on riding if you want, but there may be nothing more than some mild friction holding the handlebars on.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Can I suggest getting it checked over by a decent, local bike shop? As mentioned above, the stem/headset looks wrong and could cause you a nasty injury.
  • Dw guys, it is a threaded steerer tube. I would of been really shocked if the problem was as serious as everyone first thought as I have been riding it around and not noticed any issues with the steering but all sorted now and i can get on with riding it again.

Obviously got some things that need some work and changing but i like the frame and now i have a little project on my hands. (I'm sure the gf will be delighted!)
  • cooldad
    So what did you do about it?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Is he still a mate?

The Hardrock isn't a light frame, its about average by the way, a lot heavier (about 25%) than the equivalent Carrera frame at the time.
  • The Hardrock isn't a light frame, its about average by the way, a lot heavier (about 25%) than the equivalent Carrera frame at the time.[/quote]

It feels light enough for me atm. Don't forget a couple of days ago I was baffled by talk of threadless steerer and quill stems so I'm very much a beginner. I'm happy with the purchase anyway, it gets me about and improves my fitness. I will only be using it for light trails to begin and by the time I'm fit and prepared enough for anything more extreme this bike should be looking a lot different. (maybe a totally different bike)
  • The Rookie
    The frame is about 2kg in weight of a bike weighing a total of 13.5-15.5kg so you can't really tell frame weight from the weight of the bike.

That said it is a frame with reasonable geometry that can ride really nicely with the right parts on it, so make sure it's all working as it should and go from there.

My Carrera started off at about 13kg 9as new it would have been about 15kg) and is now 9.9 (link in sig) just to show what can be done!