Crack in helmet padding.

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited February 2014 in MTB general
I have a Giro Xen helmet which has never been crashed or dropped but now has a crack in the padding (the bit between the outer shell and the removable pads). First of all is it still safe to use and secondary does anyone know how it can have happened? Can post pics if needed.

Cheers.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's the bit that protects your head, so I would consider changing it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    That's the bit that protects your head, so I would consider changing it.

Very much this!!

The shell is there for bumps from branches or sticky out bits, what protects your head is the foam/polystyrene material, if that's damaged, I wouldn't be riding with it.

No idea how it can happen though, sorry
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Yup that's what I was thinking, time for a new one. Strange how it's happened though :?:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Has it been sitting in the sun I always store my lid out of the sun even in the car.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Take it to a dealer and ask about a warranty replacement - I've had a Giro helmet crack and was replaced under warranty
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Take it to a dealer and ask about a warranty replacement - I've had a Giro helmet crack and was replaced under warranty

Not a bad idea, don't have any proof of purchase though. Not sure if I have a Giro dealer near me but will have a look.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive