Bash gaurd and ring size advise

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Okie cokie,

So have the newly purchased cannondale

Ring spec 24/32/42

I'd like to replace the outer ring with a bash gaurd

Clearance and also saftey (leg protection) ;)

Can someone point me in the direction of a good nice one / bike is matte black lime green highlights

I love the look of the chain gaurd to to prevent chain slap and keep chain tensionn etc can these only be used on 1 x9 setups

Can you get combined ones

An links / help appreciated

Comments

• Don't know any of what you are looking for, but I would be looking at changing your middle ring to a 36 or 38 if you are getting rid of you big ring
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just buy a bashguard that suites you opinion of what looks good, I currently have a Gamut on mine as it has a nice minimal look and isn't too blingy (photo in Kraken link below), if you buy a 'plastic' bash it will be heavier and need longer chainwheel bolts.

If you are running 1x9 there are lots of chain GUIDES but no guards (or gaurds for that matter!) but they have no effect on chain tension and don't prevent slap, for that you need a damped (aka clutched) rear mech but they are 10 speed only (or the rare 11) although they can be made to work with some jiggery pokery on a 9 speed but it means a new rear mech and £££

Chain guides come in different types, I run a bash outer and an inner guide ring and that is all the chain guide I need.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok fair enough

I have read also that I may need different rings

So if changing middle would it be good to change te "granny" right too ?

I'm off on the bike today so will see how things pan out not using the big ring
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    When I changed over to a bash guard with two rings I changed the rings to a 26 and a 36.

I never miss the big ring now especially after changing to a 36.

As for a black and green bash guard, how about this one....

blackspire_super_ring_god_c4_bash_guard_2013_gre.jpg

http://www.thecyclesite.com/blackspire-super-ring-god-c4-bash-guard
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You don't 'need' to change the middle ring, just buy a bash guard that gives you the option of changing it later if you want.

If you get a 32t sized bash guard then the largest chain ring you can use with it will always be 32, so get a 34 or even 36 and chuck it on and see how you go. That's all you need to get going plus change the limit screw on the mech.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Rode thetford this afternoon stayed in the middle seems ok a little to easy did not use easier 2/3 gears

Cannock soon so then we will see ... Think a 34 might be good .. Then shall I change +2 teeth granny ?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Then shall I change +2 teeth granny ?

I would personally, it's only a few quid and while you have chain rings off it'll probably give you a better set up.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn