new wheel - expensive

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
After 28000 km I am changing the front wheel of my MTB commuter. Decided to get one with dynamo hub.
Plus disc, because I have disc brake.
LBS says it's extremely rare that a wheel can go beyond 25000km.

Total nearly 190 euro.

So, if I must change both weheels every say 25000 km, or 2-3yr, that's 10-15euro/month only for wheels !!!

Suddenly I realize cycling costs more than I thought :(

What's your exprience: how many km can you get out of one wheel?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If your wheel is disc braked, what has gone wrong with it that it needs replacing?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Pep
    DesWeller,
    I'm surprised by your question. How long can you actually use a wheel?

To answer:
    most nipples are destroyed, by weather and miles, they can no longer tuned to tense the spokes.
    The bearings also need replacement.
    Granted, I could replace all nipples, and the bearings too, but that would leave me with old cup and cone which IF still useable I don't expect they will remain usable for much longer. Plus, there is still cost of material, plus labour for building a "brand new" wheel with old parts.

You are right, because of disc brake the rim is still good.
  • Brass nipples on stainless spokes will still be around with the cockroaches after the apocalypse!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As will cup and cone bearings...get it fixed, ride it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Pep
    Alan, just curiosity, how many miles do you get out of a wheel?
  • Pep
    Also, I'd like to be wrong, but I can't see how cup cone and bearings can be serviced after they get to a certain level of wearing ...
  • The Rookie
    The cones can be replaced, the balls can be replaced and on decent hubs (Shimano) the steel cups can be knocked out the alloy hub and replaced, what other part do you think you need to replace?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have handbuilt wheels that I bought in 1992. The previous ones from 1990 were just scrapped (rims worn, the second rear hub snapped a flange).

No idea on mileage as I have rotated the wheels around on different bikes. The 1990 ones did two years of constant use (club runs and junior racing), then 2 years as a winter bike, then 3 years as a commute bike at University, then a fallow period of a couple of years, then back to winter training bike duties with a bit of touring and in the last year commute again.

Maybe 15,000 miles at a guess. The hubs were exage (so sora / tiagra quality). I replaced the balls once or maybe twice in that time. The rear hub was replaced when the bearings got a bit 'gritty' and I wanted to go 10 speed compatible (hub was a 7 speed). I re-used the spokes.

The front wheel bearings are a bit rough now but it is a turbo support wheel. I did replace the rim a few years back as it was worn.

Shimano hubs on mavic rims with stainless spokes / brass nipples are pretty sturdy beasts.
  • Alan
    You missed a trick. All my old shimano 7 speed hubs take 10 speed cassettes absolutely fine.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Pep
    Thanks guys,
    good to know.
  • ex-pat scot. Useful info!
  • The Rookie
    Alan
    You missed a trick. All my old shimano 7 speed hubs take 10 speed cassettes absolutely fine.
    No they won't, 8 speed hubs will, but not 7. Although some bikes with 7 speeds used 8 speed hubs and a spacer.