Kentish Killer 2014

Gunnsie
Gunnsie Posts: 171
I signed up to this lastnight..... I think I must be mad!!

http://kentishkiller.ning.com/

Gone for the 71 miler. Anyone else signed up?? Tickets were going like hot cakes lastnight.

Chris

Comments

• b4ssy
    b4ssy Posts: 27
    I've done KK the last 2 years

It is very well run with good signage and a cracking route that will test even the fittest of riders.

There are 2 well stocked refreshment stops and a choice of hot food at the end. One of the best value sportives in the calendar.

It will sell out quite quickly.

Fingers will be crossed for the weather
  • Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    Did the 41 miler last year with just the lad.

Am doing as part of the club this year and have got a real good turnout with quite a few of us going.
  • Gunnsie
    Decided to give Hell Fire Corner a miss and train for this instead.

Think I might try and drive round the course prior to the date to see what the roads and hills are like.
  • Bookwyse
    Don't drive it, it will scare you out of doing it.

I'm still going for the hellfire and this with potentially an all day 150 miler early in December. Will see me having broken both the 100 & 150 barrier this year.
  • b4ssy
    The long route has now sold out.

There are a few spaces left for the 41 miler.
  • Gunnsie
    Bookwyse wrote:
    Don't drive it, it will scare you out of doing it.

LOL, yeah good point! When I drove along the M20 on the weekend near the Brands Hatch area you could see the change in landscape... gonna be a tough one I think!.

Chris
  • Did it last year It is very very hard. Only did the "short" one but saw enough people switch from the long ride to the short one to know its a brute. There are some serious hills one with an average of 11.8.
    I average 17 - 18 mph all year apart from this and the wiggle hell fire. Good luck if you are doing the KK and make sure you train in the winter!! There were many doing the walk of shame!! Row dow tops out at a ramp of 35.3%!!!! Have a look at the short route http://www.strava.com/activities/41224388
  • Bookwyse
    So are we all ready for this on Sunday?
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Looking forward to it.......The forecast looks promising, I am even considering wearing shorts!?
  • Bookwyse
    Which forecast are you looking at, met office is showing 60% Chandon rain 25mph wind and gusts upto 50h!!

Still looking forward to it though.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I normally use accuweather......it is accurate as any of them.
    As we know the weather lately has been less than predictable!

Having ridden many of the roads on the course over the last few weeks, it is still very wet as water comes off of the fields. It is late February after all!
  • b4ssy
    Weather looks ok. Most of the really strong winds will be in the west. Will still be breezy though.

Local roads not in great shape. Plenty of potholes to look out for and loose stones. Ice was a big problem for those that did the hell of ashdown but hopefully temps won't be as low overnight.

Save your legs for the brutal finish that is sundridge hill, row dow and tinkerpot lane.
  • Bookwyse
    Am cheating and using the cdf for it this year. Slightly heavier than the other bikes but it's negated by the huge 36t on the rear. Rowdow and tinkerpot are killers with 60miles in the legs.....
  • b4ssy
    Great event, well marshalled and superbly organised.

2 Feed stations a welcome sight and well stocked.

Headwind was brutal all the way out to Ashdown Forest and then it was a case of hanging in there up the very sharp last 3 hills. Never seen so many people lying on the ground/walking with cramp.

Not sure if it was enjoyable but certainly a challenge.
  • ..did the short one yesterday, certainly blowy on the way out and agree its a well run event with a welcome bit of scoff at the end....now I know the name of that cheeky last climb, just when you think its all over...Tinkerpot Lane, eh?

.....out of curiosity, what elevations did people get? My Edge 500 gave me an elevation gain of 4,045 ft ( which became 4,268 when downloaded to Strava!!) for the short route, and my mate's Strava phone app gave him 6,103ft for the long route, both of which strike me as too high!
    ..is there an "official" figure?
  • deswahriff wrote:
    .....out of curiosity, what elevations did people get? My Edge 500 gave me an elevation gain of 4,045 ft ( which became 4,268 when downloaded to Strava!!) for the short route, and my mate's Strava phone app gave him 6,103ft for the long route, both of which strike me as too high!
    ..is there an "official" figure?

I got about 6,300 ft for the long route. Given that you're never on any flat the whole way round I'm inclined to believe it 8)

To echo what was said above... great event, well organised and marshalled, and v reasonable cost. Last did it two years ago, and did the Hell of the Ashdown instead last year. Definitely prefer this one.