Frequence of training-distances.

D4V1D
D4V1D Posts: 233
edited February 2014 in Health, fitness & training
I'm not a racer, just ride for fun, but my mates are entering events this year, they are younger as I'm 42, 6"3 100kg and a bit out of condition.

As the weather is ok at the moment, I've started riding to work again, it's hilly with a green lane thrown in. It's 7.2 miles and takes 40 minutes in these wet conditions - 33 in warm dry.

I'm planning on doing this daily, but will this improve my overall fitness or just make me tired and in the long term just slow me down?

I am still use my HT Cube with a Dropper seat post and a tubeless (BMX tube) rear wheel.
I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
Cube Acid 2010
Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.

Comments

• pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Doing it daily is a great start. Probably have a few tiring days initially, but as the weather improves and you see a few dawns, then I think you will really enjoy it.

But it does take effort to turn an idea into a habit into a routine.

As you get fitter you may even take a longer route home, and then the fitness will really build up.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I don't think it will make you tired in the long run - it shoudl have a good impact in the long term. There is a lot you can fit into a 30-40 minute ride. It's enough for intervals, or sprint drills, for example.

But, to be honest, its just fun to get out on the bike for that length of time.
    Insert bike here:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'll be fine. If you go flat out every journey every day you'll get tired, but be sensible about having a gentle spin now and again and you'll be fine.

You need to be vaguely careful of the fact that you'll get good at riding 7.2 miles. Don't assume that you'll suddenly develop wondrous fitness and be smashing out 100 mile rides with ease, it's not long enough to build any real endurance.
  • Riding to work every day is a great way to get fit.

Ive been doing 3 miles each way for almost 3 years, and that along has massively improved my fitness. I tend to ride it pretty fast though.

If you commute on top of all the other offroad riding you do, you will see a pretty good increase in fitness, just getting on the bike at least once a day for a few miles makes a difference.

I only have the chance to ride offroad once a week at the moment, and without my commuting i would be very sloppy and slow when it gets to my Sunday ride.
  • D4V1D
    Thanks for the info. I work shifts so this week is great for going to work.

I added a bit on the way in
    8.95 miles
    Ascent 125Ft,
    Descent 138Ft,
    max elevation 115 Ft.
    I managed to get away early today but I'll have to work it back as and when they need me to. So I went another way home.
    13.6 miles
    Ascent 649Ft
    Descent 613Ft
    max elevation 500Ft

So 22 miles and 774Ft Ascents, It's all got to help?

Njee20 I'd like a bit of advice of what would be a good starting point to train for longer rides. I do have a turbo trainer but I don't use it that much. Only when it's cold, wet and to get away from the family lol.
    Cube Acid 2010
  • D4V1D
    So far this week I managed to commute 4 out of 5 days, 12km into work & 24km on the way home, so managed 130km this week. I like km's it sounds further.
    caught up and over took a slow roadie, cut up by a car in town, and managed to overtake a car down a steep hill using gravity after her overtook me and then braked. :/
    Cube Acid 2010