2 hour MTB Race, bottle/cage or hydration system/rucksack

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited March 2016 in MTB general
Got my first race coming up, its 2hours long. My normal rule of thumb is bottle and cage for road riding, camel back type thing for the mtb. I prefer just a bottle and cage, but there are advantages to having a back pack (hands free, no bottle to loose etc).

What is the general consensus?

Also what kit do you take, thinking a minimum of spare tube and pump!

Comments

• Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Hydration pack. Quicker, more convenient.
  • Thanks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless it's in the Sahara, just a bottle with some bits stuffed into your jersey.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bottles.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Bottles, jersey pockets for everything else that's what they are there for and use the feed zone for extra bottles.
  • Neither, it's only a two hour race, don't you train to endure thirst and hunger? If not, why not?

Surely you would get to the finish line quicker if the idea of a cool refreshing drink was waiting for you at the end of the race.
  • bikaholic wrote:
    Neither, it's only a two hour race, don't you train to endure thirst and hunger? If not, why not?

Surely you would get to the finish line quicker if the idea of a cool refreshing drink was waiting for you at the end of the race.

Only if it was beer!
  • njee20
    If you always use a hydration pack then I'd go for a ride with a bottle before the race so you're used to drinking from one. Bottles will be faster - as said, store spares in the feed zone.

Personally I take a fresh one every lap, psychological as much as anything, tend not to make them full though. For a 5 lap race I'll make 3 full bottles and decant them across 5 bottles usually. Carrying more than you need otherwise.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    bikaholic wrote:
    Neither, it's only a two hour race, don't you train to endure thirst and hunger? If not, why not?

lols

Bottle
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I think you want to be carrying as little (weight) as possible so neither if you can help it... maybe get a lacky to hand you bottles somewhere on the track as you lap round, or at predetermined points if its one long route.

Tool wise... spare inner, self adhesive patches & tyre boot in case you split a tyre/sidewall, I'd forgo the handpump and use co2 inflators instead, small multitool with tyre leaver
  • miceden wrote:
    I think you want to be carrying as little (weight) as possible so neither if you can help it... maybe get a lacky to hand you bottles somewhere on the track as you lap round, or at predetermined points if its one long route.

Tool wise... spare inner, self adhesive patches & tyre boot in case you split a tyre/sidewall, I'd forgo the handpump and use co2 inflators instead, small multitool with tyre leaver

Thanks - I dont have any lacky and no food/drink stops I am aware of. Its multiple laps of a local area, its going to be more like a rugged long CX race, than a true MTB race - first time for me.

I may fit the bottle cage and take a bottle. I seem to drink less on the MTB than the road bike.
  • njee20
    A lot of races will have a 'feed zone' - it's not a food stop, it's an area (in BC sanctioned races the only area) where you may take on food/drink.

Most local races won't, so you can just stick your spare bottles wherever. One bottle for a 2 hour race isn't much.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm with Njee, for 2 hours at your best pace, you can't do it dry, if you have some support bottles will be lighter and you can just grab one and throw the previous as suggested, if you are on your own so 'refueling' is slower then I'd take a hydration pack. The amount you'll need is personal of course!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I've seen some of the guys who are riding unsupported mackle up a bottle carrier strapped to an old fork, just dig it in the feed zone or wherever works best and stick a few bottles in the holder - bob's your uncle
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • njee20
    Yeah that works - even a little table. George Budd had it down to a fine art - I always sent bottles scattering when I tried it!

IMO even if you have to stop and pick up a fresh one it costs you no more than 2 seconds or so, which I think is well worth it. I would definitely get out for a ride with a bottle though, as you do have to think about when you're going to drink slightly more than with a hydration pack.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    you can't do it dry

There is no way I would consider doing it "dry" - thats just daft.

As far as I am aware there is nowhere for picking up/dropping off drinks/empties.

Bottle is lighter, will get filthy, could loose it, may get in the way of sholudering the bike (should the mud get bad) altough I intend to ride 100% of the race! I expect the CXers will be going faster though.

Pack is heavier, allows me to carry more/too much etc.

Will decide on the day. Not sure why am worrying about it, its not as if I am going to win :lol:
  • njee20
    As far as I am aware there is nowhere for picking up/dropping off drinks/empties.

Whether or not there's a designated area makes no difference, just put your bottles on the ground beside the track. If it's a multi-lap event taking 2 hours that's exactly what people will be doing.

Dirty bottles is a red herring IMO, never had a problem.

What's the event?
  • I see what you are saying! Never though about that, kind of obvious and simple thing to do... knowing me I would forget where I left them :lol:

Event is Midwinter Madness Hurt at the Haigh, if this goes to plan and is enjoyable I will do the Midweek summer series, and maybe some CX come the end of the year.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Worth having a spare around even if you don't think you will need it, I dropped a bottle in a 1hr in the summer and my mate ran it over before I could recover it, wife had to frantically find a replacement for me.
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    Camelback...scrumpy.
  • Just done two laps of Llandegla, drank less than 1.5 litres of water (from my hydration pack). I think I will just stick with it. I can't be faffed with changing bottle cages over.

Bloody windy out there, great fun though.
  • Just done two laps of Llandegla, drank less than 1.5 litres of water (from my hydration pack). I think I will just stick with it. I can't be faffed with changing bottle cages over.

Bloody windy out there, great fun though.

Good idea mate, stick with the hydration pack. More to carry but less of a faff, I use mine during races as the slight extra weight doesn't really matter as I'm not exactly in the elite class :D

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Can fit more whisky in a trail pack..
  • Gin, Tonic and a slice of lime :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Gin, Tonic and a slice of lime :)
    Are you my granny?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • No (well at least I don't think I am)

Raced with Hydration system (people were riding with a mix of bottles and back packs - the pros were using bottles). Took 1.5ltrs, ran out of fluid on the last half for the 4th lap (4 laps in total) - lesson learnt, you will drink more fluid in a race! I thought it was handy to have the tube near by, but it would have been nice to be riding without it.
    Quite pleased with the results.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Was it really necessary to resurrect a 2 year old thread to try and advertise your wares? One post in workshop and tech was enough...