Trek 5200 Renaissance

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited April 2014 in Your road bikes
After tackling my first ever build last year based around a Forme Longcliffe alloy frame I started to get itchy fingers again towards the end of last year.

Decided to look out for a fairly cheap carbon frame this time and eventually ended up winning an Ebay auction for a Trek 5200 OCLV 120 frame. This is a 2002 vintage frame in US Postal Service livery as ridden by "he who must not be named" and his cohorts. The frame has a "Handbuilt in the USA" sticker on it so I guess that it dates from a time before most things carbon seem to originate from the Far East. Pic of finished article below:-

12561413253_453aa76c90_b.jpg

More pics if you're interested at this link:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/39387382@N ... 802026523/

Spec details:-

Frame:- Trek 5200 OCLV 120 carbon frame
Forks:- Trek carbon with alloy steerer
Shifters:- Shimano 105 5700 10-speed
Crankset:- Shimano 105 Compact 50/34 172.5mm cranks
Front Derailleur:- Shimano 105 FD5700
Rear Derailleur:- Shimano 105 RD5700
Chain:- KMC X10
Pedals:- Look Keo Classic
Bars:- Bontrager Race VR-C
Tape:- Bontrager Gel plus IsoZone Gel pads
Stem:- Deda Zero One
Seatpost:- Thomson Elite In-line
Saddle:- Fizik Aliante Versus
Wheels:- Handbuilt by Ugo with Open Pro Rims, Novatec hubs (141/482) and DT spokes
Tyres:- Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 700 x 25

Yes and before I get flamed, I know the stem is flipped. Need that extra bit of height coming from the Forme with its 170mm headtube to the Trek which is 140mm. Previous owner had also cut down the steerer so not much wriggle room there.

Comments

• IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Cool, it's the components that make the big difference with old/new bikes, will serve you well, and it'll be unique while it's doing it ;)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • Have you ridden it yet? How do you find it?

My race bike is the 'bare carbon' version; 2004 I believe. Like you, I built it up myself and fitted it out with 6700 Ultegra, Rotor cranks and a set of carbon tubs.

Its a great frame. Fast, very responsive and reasonably stiff.
  • arlowood
    markynulty wrote:
    Have you ridden it yet? How do you find it?

My race bike is the 'bare carbon' version; 2004 I believe. Like you, I built it up myself and fitted it out with 6700 Ultegra, Rotor cranks and a set of carbon tubs.

Its a great frame. Fast, very responsive and reasonably stiff.

Hi there

Only completed wrapping the bars yesterday and did 25 miles on it today in its finished form. Did a couple of short rides previously with bars unwrapped just to check out the shifter positions etc. So far it feels great. Light, responsive and plenty stiff enough for my "old codger" bones.

Geometry is a bit racier than my alloy Forme but I've flipped the stem to compensate somewhat and so far it feels OK. Will plan some longer rides when the weather relents but I'm well pleased with the outcome
  • arlowood
    A couple of details that I seem to have omitted from my original post.

Firstly, the cassette I'm running is a Tiagra 12-30, 10 speed. 'Fraid these old legs need the extra gearing when the gradients get to the challenging scale.

Secondly, the frame came with no headset bearings as the seller had binned them as being knackered. Bearing cups were still in place but I decided to do a complete replacement rather than faff around trying to source compatible sealed bearings.

Original spec for the Trek indicated that it had a Cane Creek S2 headset but I had a few problems finding one so ended up with a Cane Creek S6 bought via eBay.

Bought a cup removal tool but decided to cobble together my own headset press. Long threaded bolt, two beefy plate washers and some plastic spacers and the job was done. Pressed one cup at a time being very careful to ensure proper alignment and all went amazingly smoothly.

Was a bit nervous to begin with but with patience and care these things are achievable without spending mega bucks on specialized tools for what is likely to be a one-off job.
  • I much prefer the older Treks to the newer ones. Granted, Lance & the USPS team may not be flavour of the month but that is still a fine looking frame!
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    Was the previous owner based Derby way? If it was then I know this bike..... I'd like to send him this link to see how you've given it some TLC :)
  • arlowood
    Dezza wrote:
    Was the previous owner based Derby way? If it was then I know this bike..... I'd like to send him this link to see how you've given it some TLC :)

Hi Dezza

I picked up the frame from an address in Nottingham following the auction on eBay. No way of knowing if the seller had recently moved to that address although it's possible - recent move prompting a clear out of redundant clutter maybe.

Without disclosing too much the seller's initials were JB - if that helps.
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    Different person... no worries :)
    The midlands must be a hotbed for old school treks!
  • I think that I prefer the old US Postal Team Colours, but here is a picture off mine (taken before this mornings ride), to show the bare carbon version. Frame size is 60cm.

20140223_090228.jpg
  • oldgreg
    oldgreg Posts: 64
    markynulty wrote:
    I think that I prefer the old US Postal Team Colours, but here is a picture off mine (taken before this mornings ride), to show the bare carbon version. Frame size is 60cm.

20140223_090228.jpg

Just curiosity mark, where did you purchase that bike/frame?? It brings back some memories for me..?
  • markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    I got it from a friend who lives in North Manchester. I believe that he had it from new. It was literally just the frame I got, then built it up.

Depending on where you are based, you may have seen it at any of the CDNW road races in the North West.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    lovely, like it....