Getting the right shoe size

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
Ok. So 42 (8) too small, 44 (9) too big

In every day shoes I wear a 9 with an inner sole to make fit

I assume getting 8.5 size shoes impossible (?), so can I cycle in 44(9) with inner soles? Would that compromise cycling?

Thanks

Comments

• I have a pair of 43 fizik R5's so you should be able to get shoe's in size 43..
  • ^^ this, shoes are usually done in eu sizes, what are you looking at???
  • Looking at 42 (too small) and 44 (too big). Hence my q if 44 with an inner sole would be OK

Thanks
  • Sorry Guys...realise I messed up with my post. Let me re-explain:
    Shoes that fit best are size 43 (apparently 9.5 in UK size). Found 44 too big and 42 too small in all shoes. But 43s slip at the heel

so can I wears 43s with an inner sole....basically is wearing an inner sole with a cycle shoe a bad idea?
  • You could look at some mouldable inner soles which might help with the slipping, quite a few of the main brands do them..
  • I wouldn't wear cycling shoes without insoles. I use super feet ones in my shoes.

Generally stock insoles are awful crap only fit for the bin. If you want to tune the fit that's cool although I'd suggest looking at one of the lower volume Italian shoes as a better solution. Fizik or sidi spring to mind
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    perhaps you could go and fit some on so you end up with the correct size?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    giant man wrote:
    perhaps you could go and fit some on so you end up with the correct size?
    ^^

buying online is ok if you know what you want/need - or are willing to return everything that doesn't fit ..

personally, for that sort of thing I find it much easier to go into a shop and try stuff on - if nothing fits then go somewhere else with different brands ...
  • Indeed. Would never buy shoes online. Have only been trying in shops
  • Get Bonts use their measuring guide and order them - fab
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I have bought online and always regretted it, shoes are such a personal thing you wanna go and try some. Seriously.
  • Has something gone awry in our comms? I HAVE been trying on. 43s fit with inner soles only and I was wondering if that would compromise cycling. Think I got what I needed from Ride_Whenever above. But cheers anyway
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Get Bonts use their measuring guide and order them - fab

Did you find it worked for you? Did you go up a size from the recommendation? (I'm haverting between Riots and Vaypors, but stock in shops local is non-existent)
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I'd also be curious about the Bont measuring tool.

I have wide, fairly high volume feet and can almost never get appropriate sizes to try on locally. I've bought a couple of pairs of wide Shimanos online recently and sent them back after trying them on. Bont are next on my list.

The correct length is ALWAYS too narrow for me in normal proportioned shoes and often a bit too tight over the top of the foot too.
    Bont do a wide fit which might do the trick, but I've seen some comments before that people felt the calculator was inaccurate. Not sure if that's true. Any feedback? I've gotten away with a pair of Shimano R087 wide for the last couple of years but they're not perfect and I want an upgrade.
  • I used the Bont size calculator and it told me I needed custom shoes. Not wanting to spend £500 odd on shoes I used the more basic text size guide on their site and it was incorrect. Told me I should buy 42 (which I did 2nd hand) and they were too short, my toes were crammed up at the end.

Best bet if wanting to try Bont would be to buy some sizes from Wiggle and make the most of their free returns service.

And to the OP, if you need special insoles to make shoes fit I can't see that being an issue. As long as your feet are comfortable and you can get the power out through the pedals.
  • rafletcher
    I used the Bont size calculator and it told me I needed custom shoes. Not wanting to spend £500 odd on shoes I used the more basic text size guide on their site and it was incorrect. Told me I should buy 42 (which I did 2nd hand) and they were too short, my toes were crammed up at the end.

Best bet if wanting to try Bont would be to buy some sizes from Wiggle and make the most of their free returns service.

And to the OP, if you need special insoles to make shoes fit I can't see that being an issue. As long as your feet are comfortable and you can get the power out through the pedals.

The Bont site does say to add 4mm to the measured length as a minimum unless you like a tight fit...

And Wiggle have a very limited stock available - most sizes are "to order, 2-4 weeks delivery".

thebicyclelounge.co.uk claims to have stock (though no free returns), but before I buy I'll call and see if it's true...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd not get hung up too much on the sizes the shoes say they are - they're all over the show in reality. Someone will be making a shoe that fits your 43.5 perfectly - but it'll be badged as a 41 or something silly...

Try on as many as you can.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Different shoe manufacturers make different sized shoes despite them being labelled the same as each other. 44 in shimano is the equivalent of 45 in mavic shoes. Diadora 44's are slightly bigger than Shimano 44. Sidi are smaller. Go somewhere with a good selection of shoes and try on various shoes/sizes. You will find one that fits your feet perfectly.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Try different brands and models as well as sizes because they are no where near the same accross the ranges.

No secret just try until you find something that fits.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rafletcher wrote:
    I used the Bont size calculator and it told me I needed custom shoes. Not wanting to spend £500 odd on shoes I used the more basic text size guide on their site and it was incorrect. Told me I should buy 42 (which I did 2nd hand) and they were too short, my toes were crammed up at the end.

The Bont site does say to add 4mm to the measured length as a minimum unless you like a tight fit...

And Wiggle have a very limited stock available - most sizes are "to order, 2-4 weeks delivery".

thebicyclelounge.co.uk claims to have stock (though no free returns), but before I buy I'll call and see if it's true...

Indeed, but I ended up having to add 10mm on to my foot size to get a comfortable fit. Everyone's different and there's no way a fit calculator like that can be spot on for everyone.
  • rafletcher
    Well I've just received my Vaypor +'s. For me, the sizing wizard came up with 44.5 wide BUT I heeded the advice and went up a size to a 45. I also cross-checked with the non-interactive sizing chart (which shows the actual mm measurements), and decided on a 45 standard (my maximum foot width was right on the boundary between standard and wide, but the retailer was out of stock, and there was a June delivery for the wide white, so I took a calculated risk). They feel fine unmoulded (well as fine as any cycling shoe with a carbon sole does when tried on in the office!)- a lot more roomy that the 44 Specialized S-Works I had for a while. So I'll be shopping for an oven thermometer and doing the moulding thing at the weekend. And a 46 would be way too long,