suspension pressure question

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have RS Revs, and RS Monarch RL on my bike, is the pressure in the manual a recommended pressure, or is it personal to the rider?

I have set it to what the book says for my weight, about 100psi in the fork, and 155psi in the shock.

Now the shock is kind of okay over the small bumps, but feel it could be better, and the same really for the fork.

My question is, can I take some pressure out of both, to soften it up, or should I really keep it above what RS recommend?

Also what % of sag should I have, as I couldn't find that :?

Thanks all
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I don't know about you, but my shock has about twice the pressure of my fork, so your setup may not be right, but frames, stroke length etc might make a difference...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    20/25% sag as a start, and whatever pressure you need. The guides are pretty rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    edited February 2014
    20% front and 25-30% rear's usually a good starting point to work from. Set your sag by measurements, not pressure. As it's a brand new bike you'll probably need to re-measure after a few miles as the suspension beds in.
  • by measurement using the percentages on the shock and fork?

Mine are only about 15% on the fork and 20% on the shock
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Kowalski675
    KevChallis wrote:
    by measurement using the percentages on the shock and fork?

Yeah, if they've got the laser etched markings, with a vernier or ruler if not. Or a Saggle, if you like gadgets.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Yes, in the attack position with your pack on and water, etc,

• Yeah, if they've got the laser etched markings, with a vernier or ruler if not. Or a Saggle, if you like gadgets.

cool, thanks, will take some more pressure out and go for another ride at the weekend, only take my shock pump with me this time!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Kowalski675
    KevChallis wrote:

Yeah, if they've got the laser etched markings, with a vernier or ruler if not. Or a Saggle, if you like gadgets.

cool, thanks, will take some more pressure out and go for another ride at the weekend, only take my shock pump with me this time!!

Yeah, take it with you while you experiment, it's not like they weigh a ton.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The suggested pressures are nearly all too high (safe side) and will feel too hard and lose small bump sensitivity, as a starting point I usually use 10% less, set the sag static (use a friend to help you, DIYing it is near impossible to do reliably) and then tweak on the trail for the feel you want.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.