New 9sp Cassette - SLX or XT?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm after a new cassette, around 11-32 (will also get a new chain) and have been looking at the SLX cassette (HG80) and the XT (770).

There's about £5 difference between them. Is there much difference between the cassettes?

I currently have an 11-32, would I notice any difference with an 11-34 (I don't think I would but thought I'd ask anyway)?

I may also look at some new chainrings (22-32-44). Anyone know any good deals on decent chainrings?

Comments

• Go XT, you know you want to.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Not much between them, XT has more sprockets attached to the aluminium spider (5 in 11-32T size, or 6 in 11-34T), compared with 3 on the spider on SLX. That makes it a tiny bit (about 20g) lighter than the SLX for the same size range.

As for the range itself, if you can ride every climb you need to with your current 11-32, there's no point going for the bigger one, unless you're thinking of dropping down to 2 chainrings, in which case you'll want the extra range to compensate.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    depends what you want to spend as merlin cycles got them on offer for slx +hg73 chain £45, xt +hg93 chain £47.49
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    may as well get the bigger range one, if you have an expensive/ delicate freewheel eg hope pro 2, you need to get XT minimum to avoid damaging it