Kristof Goddaert

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,150
edited April 2014 in Pro race
Kristof Goddaert of IAM Cycling, ex-AG2R has been killed in an accident while training in Antwerp. He was a decent one day rider with several top 10s in good races.

Details here: http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrenn ... _overleden

This is him on the left, having come second to Boonen in the Belgian Championships

1899519-641efcaca3edf0f9b9b8c0494f6382aa.jpg
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• 27 years old

Heartbreaking

RIP Kristof
  • Awful news

RIP
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very sad news.
  • Very sad.

RIP dude.
  • That's awful news.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    RIP young man
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • My reaction - f***in hell!

Watched that 09 champs and he lit up the race. Was he up there in GW when Eisel won it, as well?

Literally unbelievable
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Sad news. The report suggests hegot stuck n some tram tracks, fell, and was hit by a bus. Seems a very mundane, ordinary kind of accident for a pro; they go through so many dangerous situations for a living, and then somethung that could happen to anyone on a bike. Very sad
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Heartbreaking indeed.

RIP Kristof.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Tragic news, RIP.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Sad news, RIP
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Very sad...
  • 1min silence for him before the start of the start of Stage 2 Oman:
    Bg0vY_wIIAAavbV.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • @f_cancellara
    A good day is ending in a bad one,bad news for cycling. RIP Kristof Goddaert. i will keep your smile.my deepest goes to the family.

@MarkCavendish
    Just read the tragic news about Kristof Goddaert & brought to tears. Such a nice guy who loved racing his bike. RIP Kristof.

@jurgenroelandts
    Strange how things can go... RIP Kristof Goddaert.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    RIP :(

Very sad news.
  • It's amazing how big a part luck and circumstances play in life.

Boris also falls off his bike and he's ok: http://road.cc/content/news/111282-boris-johnson’s-bike-destroyed-pothole

If the mayor of London was crushed by a new Boris Bus after hitting a pothole, left unrepaired, I don't think we'd hear the end of it.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • From Matthew Beaudin, who's in Oman

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/ ... -on_317436
  • Pretty sad reading this:
    tumblr_n17nwp4ntP1qacyk6o1_500.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nice piece by Haussler about his friend here

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/heinrich-haussler/goodbye-kristof
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    D4A_5785.jpg

I don’t know if too many people have noticed, but Androni’s Marco Bandiera has ridden this year’s Classics with two Belgian flag colored armbands with the late Kristof Goddaert’s name on them. Bandiera and Goddaert were teammates on IAM last year. Kristof has a special place in Ashley’s heart – back when we first started shooting races in Europe, we were doing it on our normal bikes – camera in a backpack, fully kitted, sprinting around the Vlaamse Ardennen, trying to catch as many spots as possible. Ashley had fallen behind on her schedule of locations for the day though and wasn’t going to make it to her final spot, the Oude Kwaremont. Just as she was resigning herself to the disappointment of missing the final spot, an AG2R rider pulled up alongside her, smiled, and gestured for her to get on his wheel. It was Kristof. He had just pulled out of the race and was going to the Kwaremont to watch the finale. It was a small thing, but they became friends, and despite that being the only time they ever met, it was one of those moments that lived on. We were both heart-broken to hear the news of Kristof’s death earlier this year, but remembering and mourning are lonely things – you feel like you’re the only one with that pain in your heart, that memory. So in some way, it was comforting to see Kristof’s name on Marco’s arms the last few weeks. It made us both smile a little bit to know that he was still riding this year’s Classics – and suffering through everything that goes with them, crashes and all.

Jered Gruber
    Contador is the Greatest