Fit for 30

mahesket
mahesket Posts: 85
Hello peeps, I have finally decided that this will be there year I am going to get fit and loose weight. All in time for my 30th birthday in the last week in October.

I weighed in at the weekend at 19st 8lb (faaaaaak) looks more written down lol.

I'm 6'4" and always been a big lad but this is the joint heaviest I have been last time I was this heavy I got down to 17st 6lb for my wedding 17 months back but since I have piled it back on what with a crap job which I got made redundant from which didn't help.

Now I have just started a new job which is across the city (Sheffield) about 6 miles from home I picked up a hard tail bike just before Christmas as I hope to get out in the peaks with a few mtb mates when my fitness improves.

I am trying to get out on the bike a few times after work to get used to cycling again as last time was a few years back before tackling the commute. I'm going to do a rail run this Saturday morning when traffic is light to get an idea of time etc.

I plan on using this as a bit of a log to keep track of my weight and fitness/rides etc I'm hoping that I will at minimum be cycling two days a week to work as the the other 3 I give my wife a lift and I doubt she'll want a backie lol.

I'll check back and let you know how it goes wish me luck.

Matt

Comments

• Jon1984
    Jon1984 Posts: 49
    Good luck Matt. I'm in the same boat but It's my 30th a month earlier than yours, I've lost a bit so far so it works just need to stick at it!
  • Cheers mate, I know what I need to do and know how to do it but getting it done is the biggest challenge, I'm hoping small things like cutting sugar out of my cups of tea, no fizzy drinks and no drinking alcohol midweek will help a lot. done it all before its just being realistic and keeping it off this time.

I have a general level of fitness which is fairly good for my size, ran a half marathon last year and done several 10km's but running is boring so really looking forward to getting back out on the bike.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    good on you - I cycle commute and my route is 6miles each way and it's not as far as you'd think; you'll soon be able to tackle it regularly
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Jon1984
    edhornby wrote:
    good on you - I cycle commute and my route is 6miles each way and it's not as far as you'd think; you'll soon be able to tackle it regularly

Exactly, you'll fly through it. I'm signing up for a 25miler at the end of this month for sport relief in March so need to get out training for it!
  • Thanks Guys,

Jon, just read through your thread. glad to hear your back on it and the weight is already coming off.
  • Jon1984
    mahesket wrote:
    Thanks Guys,

Jon, just read through your thread. glad to hear your back on it and the weight is already coming off.

Cheers bud, it also helps me de-stress on the way home :)
  • I received a wireless vdo cycle computer today, excited to try it out I got it out to set it up and it doesn't work! So that's being returned, looks like I will have to give strava a bash instead
  • Just got back in from my first proper ride out. Went up to forge dam which was a nice little ride out about half and half road and light trail, nice and muddy although ended up with a cold ass lol.

Only 6 miles and I was out for 40 mins which is ok as that's how far work is and it's taking me that long in the car most days so confident I can get it down to the right side of 30mins with a little time and effort. Plus it's all road not muddy bridal ways haha.

Great fun, looking forward to getting out Saturday morning to do the 12 mile round trip to try out the trip to work.
  • Not really been out on the bike in the last two weeks due to a chest infection, I did two miles at the weekend lol round to a mates and back but even then my chest hadn't recovered.

I'm playing a game of 6 aside tomorrow night so that should test out the chest a bit then I really want to get out this weekend for at least a 10 miler hopefully more.
  • Weighed in at 18st 13lb this morning, so less beer and more exercise seems to be working.

Football on Friday night was good fun although insanely wet got rain on for nearly two hours but well worth it.

This morning I took my first trip to sherwood pines for an outing with some of the lads from work. Apparently it was the wettest they had seen it and the rain didn't let up all morning.

Good fun though we went round the red route, still massively lacking fitness and lots of the hills really slowed me down but I managed to get round without stoping and falling off which was nice absolutely soaked though don't think I've been as wet outside of a swimming pool before.

Going to try and get out with them at the weekends as often as possible now such good fun, defo got the bug. I just need to step up the mid weeks runs and get plenty of miles on my legs.

Also I have put my name down for the summer challenge at work. I'm going to take part in the MTB challenge (there is a road bike challenge and walking challenge too) we will be doing two days off road MTB 40 miles each day through the peaks finishing at the office on the Sunday afternoon for celebratory beers etc.
  • dxman
    dxman Posts: 8
    Good luck on your fitness journey!

Don't forget that diet plays a huge role in weight loss, and cycling a few kms to work will quickly become easy. Remember to increase your workout load regularly and fix your diet.

a good way to start is to eliminate liquid calories. (beer, soda, juices). These are some of the easiest empty calories to avoid. If it's killing you, just limit the beer to weekends to start. You will be amazed at the difference it makes.

Good Luck!

(another over 30 trying to stay in shape) joseph
  • http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ really works for me, set up your profile and log your meals etc, its quick & easy + you can sync it with Endomondo, its another free fitness app.

Good luck pal!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Good job with the weight loss and exercise. Unfortunately the only real way to lose weight is to eat less calories. I got up to 50 miles on road this winter and barely lost any weight and since I reduced my food I take I have lost half a stone. I am now down to a huge curry with lager every two weeks which helped a lot :)

You will find as the weight comes off you will get a lot faster. In the summer I weight about a stone less and really fly round the trails. In the winter it feels like I am dragging myself round.
  • Cheers, yeah definitely cutting he drink out helps. I'm not drinking mid week anymore and a lot less on the weekends. Food is the next big step, I just need to be more disciplined and stop myself snacking.

Anyway back out this morning. After changing to a new set of superstar sintered pads for a short 8 miler, legs are feeling better but it just need to keep getting out hoping for less rain after work as it's really hard to pick up the spirits enough to get out in the recent weather.
  • Your doing well mate, i'm in the same boat/saddle. 19 stone 5 this morning, 6 ft 4 and 30 in June.

So my advice would be,

Just remember its a marathon not a sprint,

Don't get drawn into any stupid quick fix diet.

Be a lifer not an eventer :)

And if you need an inspiration check out fat Gaz, the 36 stone cyclist. hes a legend.
  • dannye2510 wrote:
    Your doing well mate, i'm in the same boat/saddle. 19 stone 5 this morning, 6 ft 4 and 30 in June.

So my advice would be,

Just remember its a marathon not a sprint,

Don't get drawn into any stupid quick fix diet.

Be a lifer not an eventer :)

And if you need an inspiration check out fat Gaz, the 36 stone cyclist. hes a legend.

Cheers Mate, it's definitely a marathon.

I will check out fat Gaz, not heard of him before.

Well, yesterday was a good day out on the bike. I was meant to be going for a ride with the guys from work, but everyone pulled out for one reason or another. but I managed to drag myself out of bed and go out anyway.

I thought I would do what we had intended to do, and head to Rother Valley Country Park to join the Trans Pennine Trail.The weather was pretty good but very windy.

The first part of the trail was very wet and muddy but good fun, then it settled down to national cycle route 6 on the trans Pennine trail. I decided to travel to Chesterfield and back. The journey south was into a strong headwind with gusts that stopped me in my tracks but the way back was much easier and faster.

Two miles from the end my Quads were absolutely screaming at me and I thought I wouldn't make it but powered through.

I totalled 23.5 miles and took 2.5 hours with a few break here and there. pretty pleased with that.

Hopefully moving to the new office this week (Finally), so I should be able to start cycling to work a few days a week at least, which will help millions.
  • Sounds like your building up now pal, I have a 25 mile charity ride booked on the 23rd march and I'm aiming for under 2 hours to complete it so I'm now trying to increase my rides some.
  • Should I cycle in to work tomorrow for the first time?

Only thing putting me off is I have to take my laptop in with charger, plus my office clothes and shoes and towel for the shower lol. Quite a bulky back pack!

Think I might fill it up and see how it feels.
  • Doesn't all fit. Weds it is as I can leave my shoes and clothes there.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I needed 3 consecutive days in the office to ride in. Day 1 drop stuff off, day 2 ride in and back, day 3 pick stuff up.

I didn't do it often as it was a 82km round trip but it was good when I did.

155kg down to 115kg here. Diet is more important than exercise but do both!
  • Definitely diet is more important! but exercise makes you feel better so your more likely to eat well.

Took me just 28 mins to get into work this morning, really pleased with that for 6 miles and I definitely wasn't pushing it. I feel like I could get that down quite a lot.

lets see how the journey home goes.
  • Give t a week or so and you'll be flying.
  • Jon1984 wrote:
    Give t a week or so and you'll be flying.

Cheers,

I really enjoyed it, nice flat route too. (this will change when we move house) weather was good which always helps.
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    keep it going mate, hope you get to your goal. I'm trying to get under 15 stone.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • D4V1D wrote:
    keep it going mate, hope you get to your goal. I'm trying to get under 15 stone.

Thanks. The journey home was just as smooth, great feeling passing stationary cars. plus I got home quicker than I would have in the car.
  • Out again at sherwood pines this morning, first time the full red trail was open, enjoyed it but still woefully unfit.

Purchased some road tyres as well for the commute which will be getting used tomorrow for the first time. My wife is on half term this week so will try and commute each day this week to help build up my fitness.
  • Commuted to work again this morning, circa 4 mins faster which is nice. New tyres are so much better on the road than what came with the bike.

Originally I had Schwalbe Smart Sams whilst are an all round tyre with the tightly packed knobblies in the centre band, they are no match for the Schwalbe City Jets i have just put on. Also gone down from 2.25" to 1.5".

I'm going to try and commute every day this week, hopefully I will still be alive at the end of the week.
  • so I commuted to work on the bike for the last two days. I have given my legs a rest today as they felt very heavy this morning. I will be back on the bike tomorrow though I hope.
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Hows the commuting going?

Soon you will find you are looking for slightly longer routes to/from work to increase your workout- you will be looking for some hills to play with!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • mahesket
    mahesket Posts: 85
    Yeah its going ok thanks, although I only get the chance to do Monday and Tuesday at the minute as I have to drive my wife to work on the others.

I'm going to start sticking the bike in the car and going from her work to get a few more days in.

Tried a different route home on Tuesday I went down the Sheffield/Tinsley Canal from Meadowhall to the city centre. It was more fun than the roads but quite a bit slower due to the muddy conditions and canal acting as a wind tunnel.

Going to try the Monday commute on my single speed which I have just built up to see how I fair on that. Then I will start adding in some longer routes as 6 miles is fairly easy and only takes 25-30 mins depending on traffic.