Spoilers

Lanterne_Rogue
Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
edited February 2014 in Pro race
Genuinely interested by other people's attitudes to spoilers, as I've realised I'm much more likely to watch the highlights of something if I know the result beforehand. I suspect it's because the knowledge allows me to understand the significance of what's happening when it does, so I find it more interesting. I still watch live stuff, but I really don't quite understand the hard core 'must avoid all social media and watch it as if live' approach.

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Nah, much prefer watching it and not knowing the result.
  • I can't vote, because it very much depends on the race. I would think I'm somewhere between the first two options.

The current races in the Gulf, I'm happy to find out the result, read the report, and then watch highlights if they're around.

The Grand Tours, and particularly THE Tour, I'll watch it as live at work via Twitter, so I can then watch ITV4 later on, and watch the Eurosport recording if it's been a good stage (echelons and the Alpe last year for example)

The Spring Classics, however? Avoid social media like the plague until I've watched the recording, even if that means (as in the case of Paris Roubaix 2012) that I don't know the winner until the early hours of Monday morning.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283
    If I don't watch it live I'll get the result before bothering with highlights
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Joelsim wrote:

Do you actively avoid the result by avoiding the internet, or are you a bit more relaxed about it? I'm too curious to have the self-discipline required to avoid the results - I need to know as soon as it's happened.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    Entirely depends on if it's a race you will watch regardless, or if it's a race that you will watch if the racing is good.

For the latter, the result basically determines if you watch it or not.
  • As above, especially around the time the Vuelta comes round ...

I always record the live programming but often check how much of that I need to bother watching ... Especially as the attacks only really come in the last 5km these days ...

I'll watch the big one dayers as live if I'm missing them for some reason ... But that's usually only an hour or so behind the live transmission in any case ...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:

Do you actively avoid the result by avoiding the internet, or are you a bit more relaxed about it? I'm too curious to have the self-discipline required to avoid the results - I need to know as soon as it's happened.

Yeah, I avoid the forum and any news for many races/stages. Not too bothered about the flat stages as this is fine to just watch the final push in some cases, but a mountain/hilly course or a one-day it's news blackout until I've watched the highlights.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I actively avoid the internet if I'm going to be watching the race. I prefer the anticipation of will he/won't he. The forum is pretty good for not revealing unwanted spoilers. It's Facebook that normally spoils it as I follow all the major teams and something will pop up if I'm not careful!

I do manage to watch some of the races when I'm at work and manage to time my lunch so it coincides with the last hour of a race though ;)
  • I hate knowing the result before I've seen the race.
    Most common "accident" is to stumble on the result, casually dropped into an unrelated
    thread.
    News sites are a no-no.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    I think there's a 12 hr statute of limitations on spoilers or alternatively, nothing should be spoiled until we ve all been to sleep.

i.e. stage results or happenings should be discussed in the spoiler thread until the next day when it's fair game for a new topic. There is nothing worse than avoiding spoiler threads only to see a "Is Cav Finished?" Thread which eventually ruins the spoiler anyway.

As always, J-law shows us the way (***Homeland Spoiler***) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1ALuF1FxpM - (Damien Lewis is a bit weird though...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver