Tour of Oman *Spoiler*

Comments

• greeny12 wrote:
    Ghost of William Thesiger spotted at Tour of Oman cycling event. It was not sure whether or not he had arrived on a camel.

Wilfred, old boy. Wilfred.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_Thesiger

I knew it didn't look quite right. Should have googled.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • 2014021810_OMAN%20ETAPE%201_1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I think "By Boonens Beard" is my new favourite phrase to sling about.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Thibaut Pinot pulls out with a temperature of 39 degrees. I hope he isn't going to become cycling's next nearly man.
    http://www.equipecyclistefdj.fr/actuali ... 1-890.html
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    2014021810_OMAN%20ETAPE%201_1.jpg

What's that FdJ helmet? looks cool in that view.

Its most excellent

That's a great shot, Frenchie
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I think "By Boonens Beard" is my new favourite phrase to sling about.

Its most excellent

Close call for Griepel by the look of it - Howard is one of those sprinters who does pretty well when given his head.
  • Paulie W wrote:

Its most excellent

Close call for Griepel by the look of it - Howard is one of those sprinters who does pretty well when given his head.

Not too much:
    FIN_STD_IMG.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W wrote:

Its most excellent

Not too much:
    FIN_STD_IMG.jpg

Ah, that's not so close after all.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    It wasn't close, Greipel began to ease off the gas approaching the line
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • 2014021828_OMAN%20ETAPE%201_12.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • presentation_tour_2013_13_zps7e40021e.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • C'mon the Kenny E, show what you can do again

Hope he comes good on this class:

KennyElissondeVuelta_3003801_zps739e0ab1.jpg

He was in TDU but didnt feature.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nibs may bail halfway if Baby Nibs springs forth

Didn't know he was having a baby. Incidentally, I can't think of any career defining races that finished about 9 months ago...
  • Nibs may bail halfway if Baby Nibs springs forth

Didn't know he was having a baby. Incidentally, I can't think of any career defining races that finished about 9 months ago...

Well, if you're going to celebrate, do it with a bang

Only if you imagine it in a BRIAN BLESSED voice.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Nibs may bail halfway if Baby Nibs springs forth

Isn't Quintana's fiance about to give birth as well?
  • dish_dash wrote:

Yep - that's why he's not racing this month

(just realised to my horror I'm in danger of turning into cycling BabyWatch)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    dish_dash wrote:

Quintana's grandson's baby?

:P
  • brief highlights clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YegJWWbi ... e=youtu.be

FDJ let Bouhanni down. But then looking at their Oman squad, there aint a lot of fast helpers for him here - more climber-orientated
  • 20ks to race. Sprint coming up.

BgxIM0GCcAAUnsR.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Strong headwind at the finish apparently.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Alexander Kristoff wins stage 2.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Had him for the podium yday. Picked the wrong day.

Katusha's first win of the season
  • Boonen 3rd, Howard 2nd.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bg1ewxlCUAIIBNS.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • From stage 1:

Unfortunately, the team made a bad mistake in the hectic finale. Someone in Boonen's lead-out train moved to the centre of the long finishing straight, leaving the door wide open along the barriers. Lotto Belisol lead-out men Marcel Sieberg and Jurgen Roelandts exploited the opportunity to accelerate through the gap and gave André Greipel another textbook lead-out. While the German took his fourth win of the season, Boonen had to settle for 5th.

After the race, Boonen regretted the mistake.

"It's not that I'm mad because I lost but that we missed a chance," he told Cyclingnews at the finish. "It's stupid when you do a perfect lead-out and then f**k it up a little bit. The Lotto guys deserved the win today, they did a great job."

However, Boonen was quick to praise his rivals who had done most of the work to chase down the early break.

"Lotto deserved the win," he said. "It was an impressive sprint but we made the space for them. We were on the right but then we went to the middle. If we'd stayed right, nobody could have passed us, even if we go 10km an hour slower. They came from the right. Sieberg brought them to the front and then Roelandts accelerated the two of them clear.

"We had a good lead-out until the last kilometre but then it got a little hectic and we left a little bit too much space on the right side. A small mistake cost us victory. Everybody came over us from the right."

Greipel insisted that his team would have found an opening even if the Omega Pharma-Quick Step train hadn't made a mistake.

"I trust my guys 100% and they know what they have to do," he said. "Even if Quick Step didn't open on the right side, we could have passed them on the left. I stuck to the wheel of my teammate and we were not panicking. We had the horse power with a kilometre to go. When Sieberg started it was pretty amazing and fast. I think we deserved it."

http://cyclingquotes.com/news/boonen_ru ... y_in_oman/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paulie W
    Top 10 on Stage 2:

A.KRISTOFF
    L.HOWARD
    T.BOONEN
    R.FORSTER
    N.BOUHANNI
    N.RUFFONI
    P.VANSPEYBROUCK
    M.BURGHARDT
    M.TRENTIN
    S.BENNETT

Howard takes lead overall.
  • Katusha win leaves just 4 WT teams without a visit to the top step this year - Astana, Belkin, Cannondale and Tinkoff.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    From stage 1:

"Lotto deserved the win," he said. "It was an impressive sprint but we made the space for them. We were on the right but then we went to the middle. If we'd stayed right, nobody could have passed us, even if we go 10km an hour slower. They came from the right. Sieberg brought them to the front and then Roelandts accelerated the two of them clear.

"We had a good lead-out until the last kilometre but then it got a little hectic and we left a little bit too much space on the right side. A small mistake cost us victory. Everybody came over us from the right....

What I regret about gripping post mortems like this is that they could surely be more valuable accompanied by on-bike footage, streamable post-race. Fit every sprinter/train principal/even rider with an on-bike camera, upload the raw footage, let us internet monkeys provide our own analysis/commentary.

Why not?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.