Evans Ride it Series

2»

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The one Wiggle that I did (Magnificat) was sooo crowded and a different sort of person who seemed more intent on competing with each other than having a friendly chat while riding along. Evans much nicer people, more space on the road (fewer numbers), great organisation.
  • pipipi wrote:
    And how do they make any profit because I got given two types of High5 race packs with loads of sachets.

Dean has said on this forum before that Evans don't make a profit on organising sportives, in fact a small loss.
    I would imagine the High5 race packs are funded by High5 themselves - after all if you want to buy more product after the sportive you're more likely to buy High5 since you've already tried it.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Great event in Leeds yesterday, signed up for the 50 mile route but ended up doing the 75 miler as I was having a good time and felt good. Good signage (although I did overshoot a couple of them!) and feedstops as usual. Great route, excepting for the A59 to Bolton Abbey, windy as hell and really heavy traffic.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    No 'King Of The Downs' either. Poor. That was one i always enjoy, shame they decided to scrap it.

Isn't this back on now ? I saw a link to this event the other day. The price has crept up since they started it but still a fantastic event. I've entered the long route many times but usually the weather or my legs always force me to do the short 50 mile loop instead
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    Epically nice day for the South Downs ride today, first of many hot and long weekend rides hopefully.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • fuzzdog
    fuzzdog Posts: 196
    Looks like I'm the only person here to disagree. Maybe I had a bad experience but I got lost just too many times on the one I did. Defeated the purpose and and almost defeated me too. I wasn't the only one who was lost and I thought the maps were terrible. I didn't think I was going to need a map until I got lost and when I needed it it was next to useless. The one feed stop I did manage to find was well stocked with good stuff. But I had already bonked by then having missed the others because of getting lost. I was very dissatisfied but I guess all these people can't be wrong.
    I expect you all think I'm some sort of idiot that can't spot the pink arrows but I can assure you they were hard to spot even when you new where to look. I got to the finish later than hoped for on a nice day but a newbee rider on a colder day might have had a harder time and be put right off.
    Just my experience.
  • fuzzdog
    fuzzdog Posts: 196
    would you care to rephrase that? :D
  • markhewitt1978
    I've never had an issue spotting the signs. However they are placed a standard distance from the junction, and then on the junction, which can cause an issue when you've got a long straight downhill which has got a turnoff half way down, you don't notice the pink arrows until you've flown past them at 30mph. So an extra warning on downhill stretches would be appreciated.
  • apreading
    I have never had a problem and find them extremely well signed, certainly better than BHF and other charity rides I have done.

I think the problem is if you do miss one, there is obviously no sign telling you where you went wrong and how to get back on route - but it would be impractical to do so. I know in chievely some of the other riders spoke to friends that had split up from them that ended up in Newbury because they missed a sign and went on for several miles before realising and then decided to bale out and head for home.
  • Anyone to the Scotland event on Sunday around the Trossachs? Awesome day - really great scenery and couldn't have asked for better weather.

The Southern ascent of Duke's Pass was tough!
  • markhewitt1978
    Did the Langholm sportive yesterday. I had done it the year before so knew what to expect. I set out to do the 90 mile route but changed my mind in the first 5 miles that I would just do the 60 miles instead, lovely roads as ever, and I felt like I was going well, but I knew there was sting in the tail.

The last 10 miles are basically a mountain pass and last year it was a howling gale across the tops and drizzling. This year I thought it would be better as it was a nice day with light winds. But no, I howling gale again, was complete torture all the way across (other rides said the same thing to me!) I don't think I managed more than 7mph!

I reckon they should run the event the opposite way next year, so you get the huge hill out of the way straight off the blocks ;)
  • markhewitt1978
    Got notification that the Kendal ride I had entered is now not going ahead. Will have to find something else to do that weekend!
  • peteb0
    peteb0 Posts: 58
    For what it's worth I missed a turning arrow at this weekend's Cambridge event; I was feeding at the time but it wasn't just me that missed it...
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    I missed one as well (bit of a daydream) but luckily someone behind me shouted me back. I think the sign was on the right hand side of the road and all the others were on the left
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    The arrows were tiny at the Watlington event a few weeks ago. Not only that, but even smaller were the high 5 packs.... Only a couple of gels this time?!!! Normally you get a whole race pack.
  • apreading
    antsmithmk wrote:
    The arrows were tiny at the Watlington event a few weeks ago. Not only that, but even smaller were the high 5 packs.... Only a couple of gels this time?!!! Normally you get a whole race pack.

did you sign up less than 4 weeks before? Normally you get a full race pack if you did and a small sample pack. But for those signing up later you just get the small sample pack. Maybe they made a mistake and thought you were a late entrant?
  • apreading
    This was the signage for the MTB ride in Reading after some idiots had fiddled with it:

10373020_806894516001621_2335962175624905235_o.jpg
  • antsmithmk
    apreading wrote:
    antsmithmk wrote:

did you sign up less than 4 weeks before? Normally you get a full race pack if you did and a small sample pack. But for those signing up later you just get the small sample pack. Maybe they made a mistake and thought you were a late entrant?

I signed up at Xmas! All riders got the pish poor pack, they didn't have the race packs on site.
  • antsmithmk
    apreading wrote:
    This was the signage for the MTB ride in Reading after some idiots had fiddled with it:

10373020_806894516001621_2335962175624905235_o.jpg

2 right turns would make me turn right