Trek X-Caliber 7

simonowen
simonowen Posts: 9
edited February 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a Trek X-Caliber 7 (£600) as my very first MTB.

It's a hardtail 29er and has some great features, but also has some features which are not so great.

The biggest thing in which I am unhappy with are the Bontrager XR1 tyres (29x2.20" front, 29x2.0" rear).
They slide about an awful lot and don't provide a great amount of grip.

So my question is, what tyres are best to get for this bike?

I will be using the bike for some trail riding and also some commuting to work on ash paths and tarmac paths.

Also, could anyone give me any adivce on what upgrades I can start doing to my bike with respect to making it more robust for some trail riding?

Thanks.

Comments

• Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    If you post a link the spec, it would be helpful.

Regarding tyres and upgrades, try posting in Buying Advice - generally, however, the first port of call upgrade wise on a 'budget' MTB is the fork. Again, if you post the spec we can ascertain if indeed that is the case here.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Tyres for trails and tarmac paths are different things entirely. Is it mainly off road stuff you'll be riding?
  • Frame : Alpha Gold Aluminium w/semi-integrated head tube, mechanically formed & butted tubing, race geometry, internal front derailleur routing, G2 Geometry

Fork : 0

Front Suspension : SR Suntour XCR w/coil spring, preload, hydraulic lockout, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel (14.5": 80mm travel)

Rear Suspension : 0

Wheels : Formula DC20 alloy front hub; Formula DC22 alloy rear hub w/Bontrager AT-650 32-hole double-walled rims

Tyres : Bontrager XR1, 29x2.20" front, 29x2.0" rear

Shifters : Shimano Acera M390, 9 speed

Front Mech : Shimano Altus

Rear Mech : Shimano Acera M390

Cranks : Shimano Acera M391, 44/32/22

Bottom Bracket : 0

Cassette : Shimano HG20 11-34, 9 speed

Pedals : Wellgo nylon platform

Saddle : Bontrager Evoke 1.5

Seat Post : Bontrager SSR, 27.2mm, 12mm offset

Handlebar : Bontrager Low-Riser, 31.8mm, 15mm rise

Stem : Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree

Grips : Bontrager Race

Headset : 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings

Brakeset : Shimano M395 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Mcnultycop,

I mainly ride ash paths and some slightly muddy, pebbly paths although I want to be able to ride the cannock trails too.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Yeah, fork is a good place to start!

Depending on your budget, ~£150 will get you a Suntour Epicon, ~£250 (less in sales) will get you a RockShox Recon Gold Solo Air. You could spend a lot more, but not really necessary given your intended uses - for that reason I'd be looking more at the Epicon (great little fork anyway!).

Tyre wise, have a search of the "MTB Buying Advice" subforum - there are quite a few threads in there on tyres :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Start with whatever you feel is holding you back, not what other people tell you needs replacing.
  • Thanks guys. The tyres are definitely holding me back more than anything so I will sort them asap. Then I guess it's on to the forks.