Changing Brake Pads

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
I need to change my brake pads over and just want to know the best way to do this.

Currently have Tiagra brakes with the stock pads.

Can I just change the pads over or do I need to change the brakes and pads together

And are there any compatibility issues (do i need to buy shimano pads for shimano brakes etc...)
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    edited February 2014
    See:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12833545&p=17419304

i'd get new cartridges/shoes & some spare pad inserts

I bought theese ones for my cheapo brakes & they seem fine:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-55mm-caliper-brake-shoe/rp-prod55815

Or get swisstop/koolstop shoes & pads are suposedly the best.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    You have a couple of options.

Tiagra%204600%20Rear%20Brake.jpg

You can simply replace what you already have with the brake blocks having their own threaded bolt or you can buy a set of shoes into which slots replacement brake blocks.

BR5703.jpg

Once you have the shoes you can then replace brake blocks by simply sliding them out and then in.

You want something like these:

23501_01_d.jpg
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Unless you are confident doing otherwise, stick to changing the pads only and not the cartridges. If you missalign your brakes against the rims you could catch the tyre and cause a blowout. Changing just the pads inside means minimal adjustment. All you need is an alan key to undo the small bolt holding the pad in.

Take wheels off to do if you can. makes it so much easier and make sure the brake cable has recentred the caliper after fitting. My front is guaranteed to catch on the outer cable sheathing each time I change pads over (quite often if swapping from alu to carbon rims - dont use same pads on both)
  • I don't know about that, the only real practical way to change the pads is to take off the entire cartridge assembly.

Brake alignment is a basic thing which every cyclist should know anyway, it's not at all difficult just that sometimes you need an extra pair of hands, e.g. it's easiest to align the brake in place and tighten up while the brake is being applied.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    I don't know about that, the only real practical way to change the pads is to take off the entire cartridge assembly.

Disagree. As long as the pads slide within the shoes/catridge then it easier just to loosen the retaining screen and slide them out.

However given that OP does not have cartridges this is not an option for him.
    Brake alignment is a basic thing which every cyclist should know anyway, it's not at all difficult just that sometimes you need an extra pair of hands, e.g. it's easiest to align the brake in place and tighten up while the brake is being applied.

Agree but I've seem some hamfisted people try to do things mechanically easy and fail. My brother was a classic. Then again he was an accountant.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    grrrrrrr