Hip replacement (thr) and mountain biking

Hi,

Its not really a shout for help as much as a bit of a ramble, I had a a THR on the 3rd of December after smashing my hip joint apart 6 yrs ago by getting a line wrong and stacking it big time. I'm slowly trying to gain my fitness back which has vanished in the last 6 years as Ive not been able to do much. At the moment I am managing about 4-6 miles on a ride which includes climing to the top of Rivington Pike.

I'm not sure whats the best way of improving wether to just go out a couple of times a week and build by muscles back or wether I need to start doing longer easier flat rides.

I'm also slighty concerned with smashing myself back up which I need to overcome, Ive bought some fox DH hip protecting armour. And the thought of every time I move it Im wearing it out. its all very odd to me.

so feel free to poke fun at me and to proffer any advice and If Shout if you see me round rivington.

Cheers

Duncan

Comments

• Well done getting back in the saddle, fitness will come with the more riding you do, build it up gradually and you'll get there!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    I'm not able to give advice, but well done and hope you get the fitness back before to long.

I crashed out on my KTM 525exc and ended up in Rhyl hospital, couldn't face motor racing enduros after crashing into a tree. Hence the move to mountain biking.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • emsley
    emsley Posts: 1
    Hi,

Its not really a shout for help as much as a bit of a ramble, I had a a THR on the 3rd of December after smashing my hip joint apart 6 yrs ago by getting a line wrong and stacking it big time. I'm slowly trying to gain my fitness back which has vanished in the last 6 years as Ive not been able to do much. At the moment I am managing about 4-6 miles on a ride which includes climing to the top of Rivington Pike.

I'm not sure whats the best way of improving wether to just go out a couple of times a week and build by muscles back or wether I need to start doing longer easier flat rides.

I'm also slighty concerned with smashing myself back up which I need to overcome, Ive bought some fox DH hip protecting armour. And the thought of every time I move it Im wearing it out. its all very odd to me.

so feel free to poke fun at me and to proffer any advice and If Shout if you see me round rivington.

Cheers

Duncan

Hey Duncan,

I just sent you a PM as I'm seeking some advice...undergoing THR on one leg w/in the next year or so, and am currently losing my mind. Could desperately use some reassurance, or at least some hard truth from another bike obsessive...

Thanks a ton...

- Jason
  • Jason I pm'd you.

sorry for the delay and for a brief update in the forum...

I'm back out 3 times a week, I have lost a stone and I am loving it. I have just bought a Titus El Guapo!
  • Hi,

Cheers

Duncan

I had one in April 2013, mainly concentrate on the Road Bike tbh but I've been round the local trails on the mountain bike and fell a few times. I don't wear body armour, but then I'm not doing downhill just cross country. Never worried too much about falling either, I was told by my surgeon that once the joint settles down and the muscles, tendons etc are given a chance to re-establish themselves around the new joint them it will all be fine.

Put it this way, it's not 100 times better than it was before. I couldn't turn a pedals on a mountain bike before 2013, the wider bottom bracket didn't allow me to turn my legs without being in absolute agony.

My advice is get on the rowing machine in your local gym and start doing intervals. I do 5 30 second reps with 30 seconds rest x 5, then a quick weights routine and then back on the rower to repeat the 1st session. That and riding the bike keeps me ticking over rightly.

If you have anymore questions then I'm happy to answer them.

Hope that helps