Clincher tyres, What's the difference?

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Started to notice Clincher tyres and Clincher compatable rims,
Whats the difference between thes and 'normal' tyres and rims?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    your tyres are clincher :lol:

other type is tubular
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    To expand, tubular tyres are glued on and the rims don't have a lip for the bead. Only used on road bikes AFAIK, but I am open to correction.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I used to have some tubular tyres in MTB format. That was the 90s though
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    To expand, tubular tyres are glued on and the rims don't have a lip for the bead. Only used on road bikes AFAIK, but I am open to correction.
    There are some out there for some carbon rims that use them.

Not really taken off as tubeless can be lighter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    cooldad wrote:
    Only used on road bikes AFAIK

Bizaarely enough, in this month's MBR they've got a preview of Shimano's new XTR Tubular-only 29er rims and Schwalbe Tubular MTB Tyres. Can't see many people being interested, except the top-flite XC racers, though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe in your XC circles, certainly not in mine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Aye, top level racing they've been popular for a number of years. Be interested to try some, but for the exact opposite reasons I don't think road tubeless is a great idea, I remain unconvinced of MTB tubs!

Some cheapish alu rims out there, but then no weight benefits, which you only realise if you spend big money on carbon rims. Then tyres weigh more, so often virtually net neutral.

I'd be tempted to get some of the new 'wider' 700c carbon rims from Light Bicycle and use those as 29er MTB rims, no idea how tough they'd be though.