2nd claim club/team

ozzzyosborn206
ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
edited February 2014 in Amateur race
Hi all just renewed my BC licence, does anyone know what the deal is with a second claim club? Am I allowed to race under either my 1st or 2nd claim club? If not, what is the point in having a 2nd claim club?

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    So you can race in your 2nd claim clubs, club championship (if they welcome you), not much of a reason of course, but people may well wish to keep their affiliation with more than one club, so not unreasonable to have it.

Open events you have to race for your 1st claim club of course.,
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    you can race for one club in BC road/ track events. A different club for BC MTB. A different club for BC cyclo x. And a further different club for BMX.
    And different clubs for TLI, LVRC and CTT(Time trials).
    So 2nd claim club membership does have its uses.
    jc
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Another reason is people move away from home but like to remain a 1st claim member of their home town club but join a local club as a 2nd claim member to get involved with their club runs and social scene. It's a good system I reckon.
  • ^ Or the converse* - some people move and join a new club, but keep a 2nd claim membership with their old club because of emotional attachment.

*is that what 'converse' means?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You might race for one club but want to claim privileges (some clubs require membership to go on their club runs/training rides...) for a 2nd claim.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Jim C wrote:
    you can race for one club in BC road/ track events. A different club for BC MTB. A different club for BC cyclo x. And a further different club for BMX.
    And different clubs for TLI, LVRC and CTT(Time trials).
    So 2nd claim club membership does have its uses.

that's sort of right and wrong at the same time. yes a different club for each discipline is acceptable but you are 1st claim for each club in that particular discipline. 2nd claim has nothing to do with it.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    ^ Or the converse* - some people move and join a new club, but keep a 2nd claim membership with their old club because of emotional attachment.

*is that what 'converse' means?
    No, it's a brand of shoes.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Do many racers who have been 'poached' by racing teams have second claim membership to their original club?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    I did :)
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Buckles wrote:
    Do many racers who have been 'poached' by racing teams have second claim membership to their original club?

this is effectively what I am doing, but would have liked to ride with my club team in a few races during the year rather than the 'racing team' Pete Kennaugh and Mark Christian effectively did this last year riding for IOM rather than their trade teams in some races. Pretty sure the rules were bent so PK could ride Lincoln
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    We have had several high ranking members of our club remain 2nd claim when they went on to race for someone else. Mostly because their race team was just that -- a team for racing only -- and for social/local/other purposes they wanted to stay involved with us because we have a large membership and a large number of actitivies going on that are really for members only.

Second claim membership is generally pretty cheap (a tenner for us) so no reason not to keep it unless you really are cutting ties with your old club.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Does second claim membership even exist as far as BC are concerned ? If I joined another club but continued to ride for my current club would the second club even be mentioned on the licence ? I seem to remember the situation was slightly different in athletics where if your club wasn't in a league then you would officially compete for your second claim club.

Our club has got rid of second claim membership - which much cheaper (though we only charge about £15 anyway) - you are either a member or you aren't. Whether you put us down on your BC licence for whatever discipline, TLI, LVRC etc is up to you.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]