New guy on the South Coast

_Troy_
_Troy_ Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in MTB beginners
Evening all. I'm new here, so here is a thread.

I haven't done much in the way of cycling over the years, the odd bit of commuting, but that's about it. Towards the end of last summer I purchased a very cheap (£15) second hand Saracen Rufftrax with the view to hooning around the local scrubland. I did just that, with the company of my brother, and pushed the bike a little far. The brakes were shot and the gearing a bit hit or miss.

8462540388_c376f6aee8_c.jpg

We are both now discussing some more outings, and with the Saracen past it's prime, I've invested in a new bike. In the spirit of cheapness I went for another second hand bike. It needs a few bits doing, but for £65 I wasn't going to complain.

So here it is, a Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc.

12486448435_bba3cf6bf9_c.jpg

I plan to replace the grips, seat, rear wheel and tyres. Then just give it a good service and ride the damn thing.

Can anyone give suggestions of some good riding locations in the Dorset and Hampshire area? I'm located in Bournemouth and my brother in Portsmouth, so we would be looking anywhere between two and beyond. Ideally want some rough, downhill, traily type locations. 8)

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's some good riding around the Purbeck hills. Google should bring up a few options on various websites.
  • The Purbecks is where we killed my Rufftrax! It is an excellent riding spot, and a place I'll be spending a lot of my spring weekends I should think.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Bit further away but wareham has some nice riding, if you know where the new forest can be fun too.
  • I advise you go and buy Ordnance Survey, Explorer OL22 map, there are load's of forest trails to explore between Bournemouth and Portsmouth, you could both meet at Brockenhurst train station, a halfwayish point between you both and will get you nicely into the New Forest.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Wareham could be a good idea, I'll have to try that.

Knowing where in the New Forest is the hard part. I'll have to do some research and pick up a map to find the best spots.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Just remember that the New Forest hates mountain bikers! You are very restricted where you can legally ride, so either dont get caught or stick to cycle routes. Moors Valley Country Park has got a few simple trails but they are fairly dull due to the lack of any gradient whatsoever but there is Watchmoor Wood at the back of Moors Valley which has a couple of short technical lines, lots of North Shore and a pump track.

If you can travel a bit further, you would be better off riding around the South Downs.QE Country Park and the surrounding area (Buriton, Compton, Butser Hill, Petersfield, Liphook and a bit further, Hindhead) are all great with some brilliant downs and leg testing ups.
  • That is my concern with the New Forest. I'll definitely check out Watchmoor Wood, because that is very local. I'm not adverse to travelling for a good days ride.

I did have a little trouble fitting the bike in my car though. Even after removing both wheels and the seat post, I had the frame on the back seats. I have an Astra Convertible, so not the ideal carrying vehicle! When the nice weather hits it won't be an issue because the roof can stay down 8)
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    Just remember that the New Forest hates mountain bikers! You are very restricted where you can legally ride, so either dont get caught or stick to cycle routes.

The New Forest does not hate mountain bikers, they don't like inconsiderate cyclists that leave litter, inner tubes don't follow the highway code etc, generally people on a Wiggle ride.

There are plenty of trails to follow in the New Forest, I do rides up to 50miles XCountry around the New Forest using the trails, it will be a case of just going out exploring using OS map Explorer OL22

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Twelly
    kingderham wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Just remember that the New Forest hates mountain bikers! You are very restricted where you can legally ride, so either dont get caught or stick to cycle routes.

The New Forest does not hate mountain bikers, they don't like inconsiderate cyclists that leave litter, inner tubes don't follow the highway code etc, generally people on a Wiggle ride.

There are plenty of trails to follow in the New Forest, I do rides up to 50miles XCountry around the New Forest using the trails, it will be a case of just going out exploring using OS map Explorer OL22

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/mtb/ar ... Off-Road-0

Im sure everybody, not just the NF hates that kind of cyclist but it seems to be more anti bikes here than other places I have lived. When out walking I see a hell of a lot of signs with a red line through a picture of a bike and the local rag is always full of stories of protests and how inconsiderate cyclists are ruining the world.
    I only moved to the area about 6 months ago and all the googling and talking to locals I have done has given me the same answers... riding is heavily restricted and the places you can ride aren't great for technical, get-your-blood-pumping stuff. Most of the riding I have done in the NF since moving has been on the roadie and I can confirm its flat reputation (obviously there are some hills but on the whole its flat) and I am yet to find anyone willing to show me around on the MTB! Tried to get in touch with New Force a couple of times with no response so I just stick to riding around the South Downs with my old MTB buddies.
  • People of the New Forest have had enough of mass participation rides. A lot of negativity towards cyclists has come from the Wiggle rides.
    There is over 100miles of off road cycle routes in and around the forest.
    Join a bicycle club, Poole wheelers, Dorset Rough Riders, Christchurch Bicycle Club, Bournemouth Jubilee wheelers, Bournemouth Arrows, Tornado Road cc, New Forest CC and a new forest mtb club, don't know the name.
    I can go from Christchurch-Burley-Holmsley-Beaulie-Brockenhurst-Burley-Bransgore-Home in a 50mile loop with over 3/4 of the ride off road and not having to use the same track twice.
    I found most of the tracks by going out and exploring and getting lost, not sat at home googleing..

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/activities/cycle-map.aspx Click on the link, if it does not work copy and paste, go to the bottom of the page and click on the highlighted words cycle map, this shows routes in and around the forest.

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Twelly
    kingderham wrote:
    People of the New Forest have had enough of mass participation rides. A lot of negativity towards cyclists has come from the Wiggle rides.
    There is over 100miles of off road cycle routes in and around the forest.
    Join a bicycle club, Poole wheelers, Dorset Rough Riders, Christchurch Bicycle Club, Bournemouth Jubilee wheelers, Bournemouth Arrows, Tornado Road cc, New Forest CC and a new forest mtb club, don't know the name.
    I can go from Christchurch-Burley-Holmsley-Beaulie-Brockenhurst-Burley-Bransgore-Home in a 50mile loop with over 3/4 of the ride off road and not having to use the same track twice.
    I found most of the tracks by going out and exploring and getting lost, not sat at home googleing..

Ok well thanks for the tips will definitely look into some of those clubs. Im sure the OP is grateful too. I wasn't arguing with what you were saying, just giving my experience so far. Unfortunately I dont have time to go and get lost and explore, as much I would love to, so Google is my main weapon in the fight against road riding!
  • Thanks for all of this, some great info in here and that cycle route map will definitely come in handy. Just need to get on and sort the bike out now!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Kingley Vale / Stoughton - and QE Country Park are both near Portsmouth, as is Rogate
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Queen Elizabeth Country Park has had a bit of a revamp. Fun for a morning or afternoon.

South Downs Way - Ride it in 1 go (100miles+) or dip in and out for certain chunks.

A few friends and I are based in and around Fareham.
  • Excellent, thanks guys. Lots of places to check out once the bike is sorted.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    I've been regularly riding in the NF for years. There are some lovely routes, you just need to explore as others have said. I often get out towards Pickets Post nr Ringwood where theres some half decent hills. Its may also be worth noting that i had to liaise with a chief cycling officer who worked for the National Park Authority a while back. I asked him about the whole "is it illegal to ride off road in the NF". He simply said that yes, they do want to deter people and yes there is a fine, but to date, they have never stung a single soul. The horses, donkeys and walkers wear the tracks more than bikes. As long as you are considerate when passing people on foot (or some of the snooty arseholes on horseback) then you're fine. I'll continue to explore this lovely area in the saddle as i always have, but i'll add a new post if i get caught - tempting fate now i suppose!