First ever swap / build

impromento
impromento Posts: 18
edited February 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi all

Pretty new to this mtb stuff - but a i have progressed, i have found the Hardrock that i have at present a little too heavy..

So, when offered a 2012 rockhopper frame by a buddy - i took the plunge..

I intend to swap most of the componants over from the HD to the RH but do plan on a few upgrades along the way -those being hyd brakes, sram x7 shifters with a 2x10 setup and the forks (although not just yet £££!!!)

My question is this...... will a pressfit GXP bottom bracket fit the frame ok or not - as ive just bought one with a 2x10 setup without thinking about it! - idiot...

if not - any ideas so that i can go 2x10 on this frame???

cheers

Comments

• No, get a normal screw in one of that type to fit.

TBH, you'd have been better off buying some new decent forks first rather than the 2x10 'upgrade' and marginal upgrade in the frame.
  • No, get a normal screw in one of that type to fit.

TBH, you'd have been better off buying some new decent forks first rather than the 2x10 'upgrade' and marginal upgrade in the frame.

Thanks for your help

the 2x10 upgrade is more because i just dont use the gears on the 3x8 setup that is currently on the hardrock - i dont see the point swapping them over if theyre not being used....

im also upgrading the brakes and therfore the current intergrated brakes / gears levers have to go.

although marginal to yourself, actually i find the weight difference between the frames considerable.

The forks are not my priority - but they will be changed soon.

so,when you say "get a normal screw in one of that type to fit" can you offer some more specific details / reccomendations???

i openly admit to being a "newbie" and whilst i wholly appreciate advice and am prepared to take the obligatory ribbing that us newbies get - im really hoping for good honest help and advice from those that know better....
  • I'm new, but have learned one thing when thinking of upgrading certain bikes. Almost always, forks first.
    Especially if you have the RST ones on your Hardrock.
    Brakes you can get second hand here or elsewhere - I paid about £50 + postage for some really good formula ones with superstar rotors.
    Wouldn't bother with the 2x 10 yet, that's the one to save up for, but we're all different I guess.
    You'll probably find a LOT of people suggest you do the forks though, it's a priority upgrade for a Hardrock - I have a 2007 Hyd Disc Sport myself. I bought an ancient set of 03 EXR Marzocchi Bombers and the entire bike they were attached to for £65 which are still better than the ones I had as stock on it.
    Would agree with you that the Rockhopper frame is a worthy step up, I tried for ages to get one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your BB has to match your crankset (which is?), you can't use pressfit, but the RH frame will take any 68mm English thread, so Square taper through to external BB such as screw in GXP or Shimano HT2.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.