2 cyclists killed in collision with a BMW

Comments

• Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Just read that on the Guardian website.
    Looks like they've arrested the driver, other than that information is scarce and I'm not going to speculate.

RIP.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I read the local paper and it seemed strangely worded.....I think it was a police BMW.

RIP.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    More likely to be someone involved in the "fear for safety" driving away in rage.

R.I.P.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    RIP

This one needs more info to comment on sufficiently.

If and when any further information is released please update this thread.

RIP.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    "killed by BMW". So they've become self aware then? Even the BBC words it badly.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    One of the cyclists killed in Purley last night after a collision with a BMW has been named as Tilehurst man John Morland.

The Mirror reported Mr Morland was cycling with a friend on the A329 Purely Rise last night when he was knocked off his bike and died.

The paper also reported that Mr Morland’s mother-in-law was at the scene this morning and said the other cyclist was named Chris and was a father of five, but she did not know his surname.

At about 9pm last night police attended an incident at a house in Purley Rise when it is believed a driver of a black convertible BMW drove away and collided with the two cyclists.
  • DonDaddyD
    Something seems a bit suspicious about this collision to me:

Daily Mail are reporting it as
    Two cyclists killed after being hit by BMW convertible which was 'fleeing from police' in flooded village
    - Police were called to Purley on Thames, Berkshire last night following reports of dangerous incident involving black BMW convertible

Claims are that it was a married couple that were hit and killed, John Morland and his wife, no mention of a Chris.
    - BMW later hit two cyclists on A329, killing them both
    - A man has been arrested over the incident as police appeal for information
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Different view here, claiming that the victims were not married to each other. Bad news either way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... lists.html
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Something seems a bit suspicious about this collision to me:

Daily Mail are reporting it as
    Two cyclists killed after being hit by BMW convertible which was 'fleeing from police' in flooded village
    - Police were called to Purley on Thames, Berkshire last night following reports of dangerous incident involving black BMW convertible

Claims are that it was a married couple that were hit and killed, John Morland and his wife, no mention of a Chris.
    - BMW later hit two cyclists on A329, killing them both
    - A man has been arrested over the incident as police appeal for information

Just to clarify (as above could be misread), BMW didnt hit 4 cyclists - the 2 hit in Purley was on the A329.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Man charged:
    A motorist has been charged with causing the deaths of two cyclists who were struck by a car.

Alexander Farrar Walters, of Beech Road, Purley-on-Thames, is accused of killing the male cyclists in the Berkshire village on Thursday night.

He is also charged with aggravated vehicle-taking, driving while disqualified and using a vehicle without insurance.

RIP
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3840039.stm
    Same guy? Age seems about right..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Good find. The chances of their being another Alexander Farrar Walters who's 31 are slim.

Hopefully he'll be locked up for a long time. The guy is an obvious sociopath.
  • I bet he gets a softer sentance than for forging those cheques....
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I assume he would get an appropriate sentence according to judicial process and based on the facts of the case...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Should have got more than 10 years!

This annoyed me though, when i read this at the weekend:

"He lost control of the car travelling at 70 mph in a 30mph zone and hit the two cyclists who were on the footpath, both wearing safety helmets."

The fact that they were wearing helmets is irrelevant, particularly that he was driving at 70mph...and they were on the footpath.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    sentencing range is 7-14 years for a level 1 offence.
    https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sen ... s_driving/

10 years a bit light IMHO, given that it was 2 ppl killed. Could've made it 2 x 10 years (one for each death) to run concurrently.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    A bit of this might not have gone amiss...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27106445
  • slowbike
    CiB wrote:
    A bit of this might not have gone amiss...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27106445

That does seem to be the easy answer ....
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    As we all know, if you want to kill someone and get away with it, do it in a car. Maybe he didn't get away with it, but that is a pathetically light sentence for two deaths.

I wonder, if I were to hack two people to death with a machete after having a row with 'the missus', what sentence I'd get? More than 10 years, I bet.

Lee Rigby's killers would probably be out by now if they had stayed in the car.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    The end result of this - 10 years, leaves me empty.
    Food Chain number = 4

• slowbike
    The difficulty is with the intent.

Not many ppl would go out intending to kill someone with their car - so when they do it's deemed an "accident" - even if they've stolen the car whilst high on drugs.

I think this should change - if you are breaking the law (duff or stolen car, on the phone, speeding etc etc) when the incident occurs then it should be a manslaughter charge.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    I think that there should be an equivalent to a manslaughter charge for people too lazy to type the word "people".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    maximum sentence is 14 years and he would have got some credit for pleading guilty. The sad thing is that he'll actually serve 5 years or so, unless the rules have changed.