Cycling in Italy

insella
insella Posts: 37
edited February 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hello

I just read the BR cover story on Italy

The Giro TT's up my local mountain in May, and from Asolo it's a stone's throw to Monte Grappa (~1500m @ 6-8%).
So I wonder how daunting it would be for BR forumites to tackle the routes around here (and there are more than one could shake a stick at). Just how much would be enough for you readers to do on a daily basis for 7-10 days? Also, would you train seriously for a challenging vacanza, or just come as normal?

Having been wiped out 2 years ago i recovered and have just started a cycle tour association (Asolo Bike Tours) to make a reasonable living doing stuff i love with local Italian friends of the same ilk.

I am trying to refine my programme but I didn't ride too much in the UK, not like now and it was so long ago. So what are your thoughts/experience? :?:

Thanks

(I have read the rules, mods, and I am not advertising directly (except by PM - is this allowed? Anyway we are non-profit, it works like a co-operative - yes! there is another side to Italy that is not at all dark and regressive))

Comments

• jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    I spent 4 days in italy last september on an organised trip and took part in GF prosecco. Had a great time and really enjoyed the riding. We also did the passo san Baldo and an easier trip down to Treviso.
    I'm going back this year on the trip and the plan is to tackle the Grappa as well as taking part in the GF prosecco again. I will be training hard to get as fit as i can for the grappa and 4 days of riding. Really looking forward to it.
  • Thanks for your reply.
    Training hard is precisely how to maximize the appreciation and enjoyment. Does your local training area afford enough comparative baselines for the climbs? Passo San Baldo is of an average gradient like Grappa, and the tunneled galleries are a sprint to beat the lights! From Prosecco country you would climb from the east, which is the harder direction. Incessant. Best views though. How was your recovery and I don't just mean from the wine (so good it requires no training)? And your gear ratio?
    It is a great Gf to wind down the season with. To do Monte Grappa also will be a feather For your cap. Memorable. Think that for the year following there is the Monte Grappa challenge, which is to ascend the hulk as many times in one day as you can. It's very good for inducing trances, as I'm sure many of you will appreciate.
  • jewbs
    My training area affords no comparative climbs. I live in the flat lands of east anglia not a hill to be seen anywhere!!
    I liked the passo san baldo, we climbed to the cafe at the top for coffee. The descent down the other side i am told is very good but it would have a meant a long circuit around on a busy road to get back to our hotel so we went back down the side we had come up, fantastic fun, extremely fast, the tunnels are fun but would not risk jumping the lights.
    My gear ratio is 50/34 and 28 cassette. I know i need to train harder for the grappa but looking forward to it.
  • Quite. Jumping the lights is madness but half way there is another set of lights for respite or to push on from. The view from the pass is majestic, improved by a 'correction' to the coffee, I find.
    Most use compacts around here too, though I've seen some grinders, who seem to grimace more.
    Good luck with your prep. Surely the wind will compensate for the flatlands. Ciao
  • jewbs
    yeah windy days can be hard work around here. I think you should count yourself as a very lucky man if this is your local riding area. I liked it all, not only is the scenery stunning but the tarmac is so nice to ride too. The presseco wasn't bad either!!