Tour Med 2014 *Spoilers*

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited February 2014 in Pro race
There is no live coverage but the ticker is decent:

http://direct.directvelo.com/live-cours ... pe-1-.html

Juan Pablo Valencia (Colombia), Vegard Stake Laengen (Bretagne-Dried Environment), Pierre Gouault (BigMat-Auber 93), Fernando Grijalba (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) and Julien Berard (AG2R La World) are in a break and the rest of the peloton has split into 3 or 4.

About 40ks to race.

profile-01.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Under the impetus of Giant-Shimano the peloton is now broken into 6 in the crosswinds.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bretagne-Dried Environment is now my favourite team name :lol:
  • Escape caught, P1 caught by P2, max gap 30secs or so. Europcar and IAM are the ones drilling, lots of lads chasing to save face.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    "15h40 Il y a maintenant 6 pelotons !" - Shame the French don't have a word for echelon.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Lots of shooters but Degenkolb's boys are riding their hearts out for him so no one is able to get enough of an advance.

10ks
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Voeckler out of it at 2mins back.

Degenkolb has a mechanical so his entire team has stopped en masse and will pace him back like lions going for the kill.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • A sneaky Belge - Christophe Prémont (Wallonie-Bruxelles) - somehow has reached into his reserves and has forged a 40 secs buffer on a peloton now led by the black and reds.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The plucky Belge is fading as IAM turns the screw.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2014
    Meanwhile the Blue White and Blacks are turning them inside out to get the German to the frontline. Good teamwork for a new comrade.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bugger! C'mon Premont!
  • The Brave Belge has 7secs with 2ks to race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • :(:(
  • Full on sprint coming up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • IAM, Europcar and BMC lining it out. 221.5ks in the legs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Red flag down, but wonder of wonders, DEGENKOLB's boys come from behind like 10 year pros, make the other teams look like amateurs and drop their warrior in poll position who then unleashes the pistons and rewards his team mates by drawing first blood in this tour of the med.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Love the ticker. Love this sport. Old school exhilaration.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ^ Must have been watching a different ticker mate. Yours was much more entertaining. I liked the bit when they unleashed the pole-positioned pistons.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Thanks FF. I was wondering about a bump and a renaming of the intro thread.
  • Ha, financial cutbacks leading to lack of live coverage requires the use of your imagination which I suppose can make a race sound more exciting...much like people say of the old school reports of the races!

Much more interesting, exciting and useful then inane keyboard smashing on doping threads.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Chapeau FF great race commentary
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Top 15 officieux:
    1-Degenkolb (Giant-Shimano)
    2-Napolitano (Wanty)
    3-Colbrelli (Bardiani)
    4-Beletti (Androni)
    5-Giraud (La Pomme Marseille)
    6-Gautier (Europcar)
    7-Selvaggi (Wanty)
    8-Sanchez (Caja Rujal)
    9-Planckaert (Roubaix-Lille Metropole)
    10-Delaplace (Bretagne-Seché)
    11-Chavanel (IAM)
    12-Ludvigsson (Giant-Shimano)
    13-Barbier (Roubaix-Lille Metropole)
    14-Hushovd (BMC)
    15-Martinez (Europcar)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Flat track bully?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Wonder why when Ron B posts his post/thread title is always "Can you name this rider?"

Nice job on the commentary ---- shame it's mid feb and there hasn't been a race on TV yet.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Thanks for the updates FF - made it sound a lot more exciting than it probably was.... Some big names knocking around early doors...
  • RonB
    Wonder why when Ron B posts his post/thread title is always "Can you name this rider?"

Nice job on the commentary ---- shame it's mid feb and there hasn't been a race on TV yet.

I have no idea. I'll have my people look into it. Cheers
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065

Much more interesting, exciting and useful then inane keyboard smashing on doping threads.

Couldn't be more true.
  • Chapeau FF great race commentary

Seconded
  • Great race coverage Frenchie.

So there were echelons? This does not surprise me. There's usually a damn stiff westerly blowing in those parts. I would have put money on some crosswind action.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Good work FF.

I missed out on posting local info before the racing started, but now they're done for the day I feel that I can point out that the finishing town of Montagnac is home to one of the strongest road clubs in the Herault : Montagnac Avenir Cycliste (http://www.montagnac-ac.com/teammac/) - amongst their members is Karine Saysset, who won the UCI Cyclosportive Worlds last year (yes, it does really exist, and yes you can win a cyclosportive pretty much anywhere except the UK), along with being 1st women in a whole load of other cyclos (Etape du Tour, Areigeoise, etc) and winning French Masters titles in road and cyclocross.
    crbst_DSC09580_20bis.jpg

The race today also passed near Gignac, where the "Heraultaise" Cyclosportive starts from:
    http://vimeo.com/41155873

(Local cheese is "Pélardon" - small goats cheeses sold at different ages - stronger and drier as it gets older)
  • RonB
    Lots of praise from the Giant team for Tom Peterson & Thierry Hupond after their ride today ... "Degenkolb win wouldn't have been possible without them". More #TourMed reaction - http://t.co/w1b4pqLjMQ

01-finish-640.jpg