Training in bad weather...

John_Carter
John_Carter Posts: 87
Hello,
I wonder about the effects of training in adverse conditions - yesterday I spend almost 3 hours riding in cold and wet weather with my feet soaked... What effect does this do? Does it make us tougher or more likely to catch illness?

I'm wearing proper clothes but in this weather you always end up covered in mud...

What do you think?

Thanks!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Wear proper clothing, avoid getting too cold, avoid standing around in wet clothing when you're done, get warm ASAP.

Nothing wrong with bad weather. Wet isn't an inherent problem.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Wear proper clothing, avoid getting too cold, avoid standing around in wet clothing when you're done, get warm ASAP.

But does it make you tougher? ;-)
  • njee20
    Of course!

Whilst I don't particularly enjoy it I've had some of my best race results in really bad weather. That means that if it's bucketing with rain I know that everyone else is miserable as well, but I'm potentially on for a good result, and that's really motivating!
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136

Whilst I don't agree with all of them, this one is true for sure....
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • njee20 wrote:

But does it make you tougher? ;-)
    Anything that makes a ride more challenging makes us tougher. I am one of those bikers who looks for a challenging trail in the worst riding conditions.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Riding in poor weather just makes you colder, wetter and muddier :)

Or if you are unlucky you will get injuries / illness more easily.
  • Whilst I'm quite happy to ride in bad weather and wet muddy trails, it's usually on group rides and for fun. I tend to avoid it when it comes to training simply on a time issue. By the time I have got to the trails, got muddied up to the eye balls, got home and washed the bike down etc, I could have done considerably more training on the road. I do think it's important to keep riding off-road though, and not end up spending all your ride time on a road bike.
  • njee20
    I'm happy to spend all my time on a road bike when the weather's like this!
  • drmb
    drmb Posts: 4
    f968ad9217887042b14b126e6041e2db.jpg

...and if you do go out in terrible weather, just remember this...

No-matter-how-slow-you-go.jpg