Circular Routes from Alderley Edge

freebs
freebs Posts: 199
Morning. I'm staying with the in-laws for a long weekend from Friday night and am taking the road bike. Am keen to do a fair bit of riding up in the Peaks (not necessarily exclusively if there are other nice rides).

Can anyone recommend me some rides? Am looking for 50-80 milers. I have a garmin so any links to GPX files would be great. I've had a look on RidewithGPS but obviously this just shows the route and I am not familiar with roads etc.

Thanks in advance, Freebs.

Comments

• Wherever you go, you start with Swiss hill... up the cobbles towards "The Wizard" pub, then down to Macclesfield. From there up the Cat and Fiddle, then down the Goyt Valley (it's one way the opposite way, but there is virtually no traffic... just be careful), up to the pym Chair (Ouch!) and then towards Bollington... from there back via the Cheshire villages

That should sort you out... it's a beautful ride
    left the forum March 2023
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Swiss Hill as a warm-up ?
    Mmmm... :lol:

Out of town heading South on Congleton Rd, left up Artists Lane, right at the top opposite The Wizard, down Chelford Rd into Prestbury, on to Bollington, then either

a) up Blaze Hill, straight-on at the top and down to Lamaload, turn right, up the little steep b*st*rd, across the A537 Cat&Fiddle road down to the Stanley Arms,
    b) up Blaze Hill, straight-on at the top and down to Lamaload, turn left to Jenkin Chapel, up the long steep b*st*rd which is Pym's Chair, straight on down The Street and right at the bottom up Goyt Valley (correct way 8) )to Derbyshire Bridge, right to Cat&Fiddle pub, keep going over the top and left down to the Stanley Arms,
    c) left to Pott Shrigley, right up The Brickworks (Bakestonedale Rd), left at the top to Kettleshulme, right and up past Windgather Rocks, left at the end down The Street and right at the bottom up Goyt Valley (correct way 8) )to Derbyshire Bridge, right to Cat&Fiddle pub, keep going over the top and left down to the Stanley Arms,

then from Stanley Arms down Wildboarclough, at the end turn left over river and up towards The Rose and Crown but fork off right just before it and up to Flash (there's a cafe opposite The Knights Table pub), right on the A53 and see if you can exceed 50mph down the hill , right at The Three Horseshoes and to Tittesworth, continue up Gun Hill and down to Rushton Spencer, A523 towards Macc, left at the Fools Nook pub to Gawsworth, follow Cheshire Cycleway via Henbury signs straight on at Dark Lane, through Henbury, it'll bring you out on the B5087 and left to Alderley
  • freebs
    Thanks guys. Is there snow up top currently?
  • Some hilly rides on Sunday - short 42 and long 50 miler

I'm sure there will be loads of non members

Start is about 6 miles from Alderley Edge

http://www.macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk/calendar.php
  • freebs
    Ugo and Andy, I worked my way around most of what you suggested along with the Bikeradar spring fling I downloaded from Ridewithgps. It's been a cracking few days riding! Thank you.

Vroomvroom I only saw your post today. May join you next time!