Chain Catchers R Us

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
So, need one of these as the Deda I have won't fit onto my new frame (mainly due to the square-ish shape). Looks to be a two horse race between Token and K-Edge, both weigh a few grammes (as in less than 20) but why does one cost more than three times as much as the other? Probably more importantly, why wouldn't I buy the Token??

Thanks in advance...oh, and not looking to re-open the "why would you" debate :)

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I have Token, Rotor and K-Edge chain catchers. They all work great. Only reason I went with a K-Edge on one of my bikes is because I need a 34.9mm band-on. Just get the Token.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bobbinogs
    Thanks Grill, Token ordered.
  • On this topic, I am looking for a sensibly priced band-on chain catcher. I have a K-edge that fits the braze on mount on my summer bike but need one for the winter bike. What are the best options in this situation?

Thanks (and sorry to jump on your thread OP).
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Adjust gearing correctly - save money
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Bobbinogs
    boydster76 wrote:
    On this topic, I am looking for a sensibly priced band-on chain catcher. I have a K-edge that fits the braze on mount on my summer bike but need one for the winter bike. What are the best options in this situation?

Thanks (and sorry to jump on your thread OP).

The Deda Dog fang works very well and is as cheap as chips!
  • NeXXus wrote:

Gearing is adjusted perfectly thanks - to within 0.5mm. The chain can still jump and personally I don't fancy a chewed up frame. IMO it's a worthwhile purchase. :)
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    The Deda Dog fang works very well and is as cheap as chips!

Great, thanks.

Just found this article when googling the fang: http://road.cc/content/news/43469-eurobike-2011-rise-and-rise-chain-catcher
  • NeXXus wrote:

Agree; I've never had an issue with this, even using a compact where the jump is bigger (16 teeth). (And Q rings).

I asked my Specialized centre about it, and they say that they never fit them, nor do they see a need to.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    boydster76 wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

Gearing is adjusted perfectly thanks - to within 0.5mm. The chain can still jump and personally I don't fancy a chewed up frame. IMO it's a worthwhile purchase. :)
    Then it's not perfect
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Agree; I've never had an issue with this, even using a compact where the jump is bigger (16 teeth). (And Q rings).

I asked my Specialized centre about it, and they say that they never fit them, nor do they see a need to.

Thats what I was thinking not having had problem when gears were set right, but then googled them read this:

http://road.cc/content/news/43469-eurob ... in-catcher

So how come pros can't have a bike thats is set up properly so chain doesn't jump of? :o
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My first alu bike came with a Dog Fang fitted. Only noticed it after a month! Epic Cycles built it up from scratch so they must fit them routinely.

My Carbon CR1-SL frame came with one in the box supplied by Scott, so they obviously think them worthwhile too.

My chain's never fallen off onto the BB on either bike so they must be working :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Oh well - I have/had a Token chain watcher. Until this morning!

Occasionally, despite being firmly tightened, if I stop unexpectedly and restart, somehow the chain can not only come off but actually end up under the chain catcher! I could never work out how this actually happened. Today, stopping to get rid of a wheelsucker I managed to derail the chain and then crack the Token whilst trying to get the chain back on. I now think I know how the chain got there. All those CNC'd slots I think allow the watcher to flex and if the chain gets caught somehow on the inner ring it must allow it to pass through by flexing. There is no need for these slots - structurally all they do is allow it to flex where otherwise it wouldn't - or infact they allow it to break where otherwise it wouldn't.

I'm now ordering an RSP one from Graham Weigh on Ebay for a tenner. Other ones direct from Taiwan are available for less - all sorts in all colours. Any will do as long as they don't have silly holes in them!

The Token is no disaster - mine lasted a good 18,000 miles but it only failed due to silly design.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The op did say he didn't want to re open the debate as to whether they're needed or not.

Personally I have one of the carbon ones that I got from Fibrelyte. If you're going to get one might as well go all out!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have a K Edge and can't tell if it works as the chain has never come off!

Rolf, if your chain can get past your catcher, both your FD and your chain catcher are badly adjusted. The catcher should be no more than 2mm from the side of the chain and this stops it ever falling off the chainring teeth.

If I didn't have my K Edge, I would fit a Dog Fang. They look very neat and very strong.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Rolf, if your chain can get past your catcher, both your FD and your chain catcher are badly adjusted. The catcher should be no more than 2mm from the side of the chain and this stops it ever falling off the chainring teeth.

No, the FD is not badly adjusted and the chain catcher was not more than 2mm from the side of the chain. The front mech is painstakingly adjusted and the chain catcher was well under 2mm from the side of the chain when in the big sprocket and small ring (probably rather less than 1mm). Theory is all very well but is sadly often not born out in practice. As I said in my previous post, the problem although hard to make sense of is probably a result of the Token catcher being flexible.
    Faster than a tent.......