Carbon Fiber Saddle - Rider Review & Feedback

FrontCycles
FrontCycles Posts: 3
edited February 2014 in Road general
I'm looking to get feedback on a new saddle design myself and another composite engineer are developing. The concept is to offer 3 different variations for three specific weight segments. Each variation will have a different degree of flex depending on the riders preference. Through the use of specific composite materials we intend to allow riders of all weights to select a saddle according to their specific desired flex.

I've attached a picture of the preliminary design along with a short brochure to provide a better idea of the current design. We would appreciate it if you could take 2-3 minutes to review the brochure and complete the 10 question survey. The is will provide us with valuable feedback and help shape the final design going forward

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WFBF8KK

We would greatly appreciate any additional feedback you may have and forwarding the link with documents to anyone else who you may think could provide additional comments.

Thanks for all your support.

Comments

• 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    I'm looking to get feedback on a new saddle...

How can we give feedback on a saddle when we have not tried it...Might be better if you contact BR directly and give them a saddle to review then read what they have to say about it
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    47p2 wrote:
    I'm looking to get feedback on a new saddle...

How can we give feedback on a saddle when we have not tried it...Might be better if you contact BR directly and give them a saddle to review then read what they have to say about it

i think its more the idea/concept they are after feedback on at the moment.

survey done.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    47p2 wrote:

How can we give feedback on a saddle when we have not tried it
    Errr, read the questions. Then answer them :D
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    As I said on WW, without a cut-out or wide and deep channel, I'm out. Oh and it better be stiff. Flexy saddles make baby Jesus cry.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If I wanted a 99g ar$e-killer I'd buy one of those $50 carbon jobs on ebay.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Grill
    My 112g S-Works Toupe (old style) is still my favorite saddle. Love to get it under 100g... The cheap eBay jobbies flex like Arnie and wouldn't last a week under my ass (broken a couple Pros).
  • Make multiple samples of your three saddles. Give out multiple examples of each model to riders at local clubs to try, maybe even local pro's if you can find them. Each saddle should be given to riders of different weights, sit-bone widths and riding styles to test them thoroughly for full potential suitability. Each rider should have them for a meaningful length of time to allow them to dial in and get used to the feel and also to test durability. Don't expect a questionnaire to give you any real answers about whether your saddle MIGHT fit a cyclists bum, so you can chuck em straight out onto the market. Real products take real testing and long term development, don't expect to start selling them within the next couple of months based on answers to a questionnaire from someone who's never ridden one, though they might give ideas about general direction of developments, along with real test results...retest with new saddles...

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • Had my AX Lightness over 10 years now, wouldn't sit on anything else, 70g.

I find it super comfy - I reckon it's all about finding the right shape for you. Slippy carbon helps too, and it flexes quite a bit.
  • Grill
    Which one do you use? I've had my eye on the Leaf for a while now...
  • Here is the latest saddle complete with all carbon 7mm x 9mm rails. We are unsure if the carbon rails are an added benefit other than weight as they appear to make the saddle assembly more stiff. The same carbon saddle with Ti rails is approximately 30g heavier.

We thank everyone for all their support and will keep the survey open for another 10 days for anyone interested. Once complete we will more than happy to share the results with everyone.

Here is the link for reference: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WFBF8KK

We are getting some very valuable and interesting feedback.

Thanks again for everyone's support
  • Grill
    Looks like a cheap AX Lightness knock off. God I hate that shape, so uncomfortable. If you want to break in to an already saturated market then I don't think this is the way to go about it.