WD-40?!?

rhysyd
rhysyd Posts: 141
edited March 2014 in MTB beginners
Another newb question!

Got back from my first outing up llandegla on new bike! The disc brakess are covered in muck and dirt basically! Last time I tried cleaning my disc brakes they never worked again! So just after some advice really I've got some WD-40 Disc Brake Specilist spray I did order muck off but they sent me this grr! This ok to use?
Soap and water?

Thanks lads

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just wipe them with a damp cloth.
  • Avoid contaminating the discs with oil or WD-40, once you get oil on them its a mare to get off.

As above just a wipe down should to it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    rhysyd wrote:
    WD-40 Disc Brake Specilist spray I did order muck off but they sent me this grr! This ok to use?
    Soap and water?

Thanks lads
    Send it back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Wd 40 my dad's favourite. He once sprayed it inside a video recorder because a tape got stuck
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only disc spray I could find from WD40 is for motorbikes, the brakes get hot enough on bikes to burn off contaminants, they don't on MTB's, so I wouldn't use it on one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zulu12
    zulu12 Posts: 16
    Methylated spirits and a clean cotton cloth works a treat.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No it DOESN'T as meths leaves a greasy residue, dreadful advice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As SS said - water.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie wrote:
    No it DOESN'T as meths leaves a greasy residue, dreadful advice.

Also gets all the whinno's down the canal chasing after you !

If you are after a specific cleaner Halfords do one,otherwise water and leave to dry.
  • Drink wd 40 film yourself and post it as a neck nominate, then clean your brakes with a damp rag
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Wd 40 my dad's favourite. He once sprayed it inside a video recorder because a tape got stuck

:lol: Seriously?
  • Seriously
  • Kowalski675
    :lol: Brilliant. Did it work?...
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386

Probably. I bet all his tapes suddently started playing at Benny Hill speeds.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    Drink wd 40 film yourself and post it as a neck nominate, then clean your brakes with a damp rag
    Ive already done that, so I'm afraid youve got to think of something else...
  • Kowalski675
    Ouija wrote:

Probably. I bet all his tapes suddently started playing at Benny Hill speeds.

Is that what happened to the cat in your avatar?
  • I give my brakes a good rinse down with water after any trail ride. If they have been mucked up really good, I dismantle the brakes and clean each individual part with an automotive brake cleaner. Do not use unless you are dismantling the brakes and do not get it on the rubber seals. Make sure you remove all brake cleaner from the discs and let everything dry completely before reassembling.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    rhysyd wrote:
    Another newb question!

Got back from my first outing up llandegla on new bike! The disc brakess are covered in muck and dirt basically! Last time I tried cleaning my disc brakes they never worked again! So just after some advice really I've got some WD-40 Disc Brake Specilist spray I did order muck off but they sent me this grr! This ok to use?
    Soap and water?

Thanks lads

If I was in your shoes i'd be using water and a cloth/rag! Avoid the WD-40
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    The only chemical I ever get near the discs is Isopropyl Alcohol - as we have loads at work and it seems to due the job without leaving a residue.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/