Gisburn and Lee Quarry question

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited February 2014 in Routes
Went to Gisburn yesterday, what they building in the car park? Toilets!?

Also, there's a route in MBR this month that heads around the moors then goes through Lee quarry. Anyone know what these trails are riding like at the moment? Last time I went to Lee quarry after prolonged rain it was like riding in clay! Are the natural trails out there rocky or boggy?

Comments

• UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Last I heard the main carpark was at the Outdoor Centre in the woods and had cafe and bogs there?
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    We went over the summer. Someone at the burger van said there were plans to do something at the car park to bring in some money, maybe it's happening.
    The portaloos at the car park had been vandalised when we were there so something more substantial is probably a good thing.

I'm not sure of the exact MBR route, but you can ride out the back of Lee quarry up a new ish hard pack trail then down the flagged track to Cragg quarry and it's not boggy like I believe it used to be.
    Coming down the new track back to Lee quarry is good fun, you can certainly get some speed up :)
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Went on saturday, and the guys at the cafe confirmed that its a toilet block being built on the carpark.
  • Also, there's a route in MBR this month that heads around the moors then goes through Lee quarry. Anyone know what these trails are riding like at the moment? Last time I went to Lee quarry after prolonged rain it was like riding in clay! Are the natural trails out there rocky or boggy?

If it rides over rooley moor then its a fairly hard packed trail/road, wet but with water running off rather than boggy.

Cragg quarry will drain ok but there will be some nice BIG puddles in the berms etc.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • The route from the mag goes starts up at todmorden moor, then back down inch field moor near brown wardle hill. I think some of it is penine bridle way.

Am hoping to ride it on Tuesday next week, or some version of it taking in some of the bridleways round the quarry. I've been to the quarries plenty of times, but not the natural stuff round there, so don't know whether I'm just going to find a muddy slog or not. I've heard there's a good descent "into cowpe" but all I can see on maps round there are footpaths. Any pointers?
  • If it's the one I'm thinking of head out of Lee Quarry up the link road to cragg quarry and bear right and as the trail turns left on the way to Cragg you can see a gate going steeply down hill, that "should" be it but I'm not 100% without seeing the article.

It brings you out in Waterfoot.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • If it's the one I'm thinking of head out of Lee Quarry up the link road to cragg quarry and bear right and as the trail turns left on the way to Cragg you can see a gate going steeply down hill, that "should" be it but I'm not 100% without seeing the article.

Cheers fella. I might do a lap of Lee and cragg then go back down that way, see what happens

Cheers fella. I might do a lap of Lee and cragg then go back down that way, see what happens

Ive seen that descent and always wondered about doing it, but having my car parked at Lee Quarry, I didnt want to end up too far away from the car if I did it. Did you end up doing it?
  • Nope, plan was up onto todmorden moor to ride the PBW back down to the bottom of rooley rd, then back up again. But the first part of track I got to was unrideable so I ended up exploring other bridlewsys round the back of bacup. There's loads to go at. Went up to lee quarry as well but came down yhr usual way. Am gonna keep chipping away at stuff all around there/calderdale etc as to someone from flat old blackpool, it's mtb mecca!
  • Hi mate, was the unrideable part actually part of the magazines route? Im tempted to try the route as per the magazine. Im at Rivington Sunday and fancy the MBUK route for the next ride. Having done nothing round there before im not sure wether or not to leave it until the weather improves. Cheers
  • Hi mate, was the unrideable part actually part of the magazines route? Im tempted to try the route as per the magazine. Im at Rivington Sunday and fancy the MBUK route for the next ride. Having done nothing round there before im not sure wether or not to leave it until the weather improves. Cheers

I'm not sure now coz the little route map got wet so I chucked it and can't double check! I rode up the road (big hill) towards todmorden moor and tried to join the pbw which runs all the way back down (on an is map) to below bacup. It was the very first part which I think was actually a footpath which was unrideable, just a marsh. I would think the pbw itself would be alright, but the weather was grim so I got put off. Have a crack and see what happens, you can alwsys end up back at lee quarry if it goes tits up