This weather (UK) is URINATIN ME RIGHT OFF!!

HellsCyclist
HellsCyclist Posts: 122
edited February 2014 in The bottom bracket
Dog dam months of mostly rain and wind. Like a car crash victim with his balls trapped round a steering wheel, its drivin me nutz! S'posed to be a bit of a break tomorow and hopin to get a bit of mountain biking done. Then more dam dogged weather for the weekend. If the weather was a man, I would chop his........................
well I would chop everything off.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Wow, this weather is really getting to you isn't it :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    In the selfish mode that seems to pervade this forum, it is not affecting me so I cannot see the problem.

A perfect week for cycling around these parts, sunshine and no wind. Carry on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    In the selfish mode that seems to pervade this forum, it is not affecting me so I cannot see the problem.

You should try living in deepest cornwall, it's been that she-ite that I've not been out since mid December. I'm supposed to be doing the tour of Wessex again this year, fat chance of that if this weather keeps up! I'm even considering getting a cyclocross bike just so I can have fatter tyres and disc brakes without resorting to turning in a cruddite. :lol:
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I've been ill this week but the weather hasn't stopped me getting out prior to that. I've been doing the commute a couple of times a week in all sorts of conditions. Once I manage to persuade myself into my kit and out of the door I actually quite like riding in the rain. I'll avoid riding in gusty wind though for safety reasons (steady strong wind is fine and gives a good workout). I'm not sure why people find rain such a deterrent to be honest and find it baffling that people will happily go out riding off road in wet and muddy conditions but won't ride on the road in a bit of rain :?
  • The rain doesn't bother me either, it's the wind and road conditions that put me right off. There's lots of run off water on the roads and pot holes galore where I live, and because it's the countryside there's always a tractor that's putting $h!t all over the roads at one place or another.

Trouble with Cornwall is that if you're not going up a hill you're going down one! Gale wind and wet brake don't make for good bedfellows. :roll:
    Scott S40 Speedster

• PBlakeney wrote:

You should try living in deepest cornwall, it's been that she-ite that I've not been out since mid December. I'm supposed to be doing the tour of Wessex again this year, fat chance of that if this weather keeps up! I'm even considering getting a cyclocross bike just so I can have fatter tyres and disc brakes without resorting to turning in a cruddite. :lol:

Deepest being the operative word. Loads of flood warnings down that way I heard. The one good thing about my location is that no matter how much rain we get, we dont suffer much flooding.
    The rain doesn't bother me either, it's the wind and road conditions that put me right off. There's lots of run off water on the roads and pot holes galore where I live, and because it's the countryside there's always a tractor that's putting $h!t all over the roads at one place or another.

Trouble with Cornwall is that if you're not going up a hill you're going down one! Gale wind and wet brake don't make for good bedfellows. :roll:

Rather ironically I enjoyed cycling up what has essentially become a stream today. Made the most of the weather and got some MTBing in. Felt like a release after being off the bikes for too long. I agree with you about road conditions which is partly why I decided to go out on my dirt bike rather than my road bike. Wind doesnt bother me too much but I absolutely detest rain. Snow is alright tho, quite fun.
  • I'm pretty sure its like this every winter.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Pross
    I'm pretty sure its like this every winter.

December was the wettest on record and stormiest since 1969, January was the wettest on record so I'm pretty sure it isn't.
  • Pross
    By the end of next week we could quite easily have the wettest winter on record with two more weeks to go!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Dog dam months of mostly rain and wind. Like a car crash victim with his balls trapped round a steering wheel, its drivin me nutz! S'posed to be a bit of a break tomorow and hopin to get a bit of mountain biking done. Then more dam dogged weather for the weekend. If the weather was a man, I would chop his........................
    well I would chop everything off.
    I guess that now isn't the right time to tell you I've just booked a skiing holiday to Switzerland? :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    another cornish bunny here and watching the rain and wind as i type. hoping that the greenhouse and the fences stay in one piece. 400 ft above sea level so if we get waves and storm surge here we reall are in doo doos!

there are a few gaps but not many and last week they didnt coincide with my work patterns. got a 10 in before work yesterday when low sun was the problem! and another 10 after with dry roads would you believe! tomorrow pm is looking reasonable but grandsons birthday celebration, monday looking ok and tues and wed back to wind and gales again. so this week about 30 outside and 70 on the turbo

But to be fair last year was pretty dry and cold throught dec, jan and feb here. not like every other winter in the intensity and frequency of it all is just way above and beyond. cant really be bothered to go out to get soaked and blown around and to spend the same amount of time cleaning the bikes but i do when i can
  • The weather has been good in these parts, however, windy or what! Was out today and at one point was in the small ring going DOWN hill into a head wind, never known owt like it. Proper knacked by the time I got home.

While I really dislike such weather my riding mate seems to positively embrace it. I'm just hoping that this winter riding pay dividends come summer.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Same here, popped out for a quick 25 miler this morning, and at one point was in the small ring going downhill into a headwind during a hailstorm - lovely!

This was after some t0sser in a car insisted in overtaking me while I was riding through a flood thoroughly soaking me.

Worst ride ever. Should gave stayed in bed!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    PBlakeney wrote:
    In the selfish mode..
    ... brakes without resorting to turning in a cruddite. :lol:

Don't do it Mac, you'll never be the same again and you'll end up with hairy legs and flappity shorts and you'll take to saying 'dude' a lot and using words like 'gnarly' and 'air'. There will be no coming back. You will have this dazed and confused expression permanently on your face.
    I'll send you a wall poster of Mont Ventoux and a hair dryer. Stick the poster on the wall, position the rollers/turbo and gaffer tape the hair dryer to your handlebars; point it at your face. If you want to emulate the up hill effect, a nice thick Yellow Pages or a Cornish bloke (same thing really) will do to prop the front wheel up.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    PBlakeney wrote:
    In the selfish mode..

Don't do it Mac, you'll never be the same again and you'll end up with hairy legs and flappity shorts and you'll take to saying 'dude' a lot and using words like 'gnarly' and 'air'. There will be no coming back. You will have this dazed and confused expression permanently on your face.
    I'll send you a wall poster of Mont Ventoux and a hair dryer. Stick the poster on the wall, position the rollers/turbo and gaffer tape the hair dryer to your handlebars; point it at your face. If you want to emulate the up hill effect, a nice thick Yellow Pages or a Cornish bloke (same thing really) will do to prop the front wheel up.
    Yep, why take the risk of having fun on a bike and losing that pained expression most roadies have :) And hills just wouldn't be the same when you have a van to take you to the top :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    In the selfish mode..

Don't do it Mac
    Yep, why take the risk of having fun on a bike and losing that pained expression most roadies have :) And hills just wouldn't be the same when you have a van to take you to the top :P

What?!? A van to take you to the top of the hill?!?! That is pants, you bloody cupcake.

So the difference between you and me is this. No wonder Stevo needs an extra 28 inches of travel: I still don't know why you bothered with a helmet, there is enough padding on you to bounce off anything.

funny_fat_people_05.jpg
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    In the selfish mode..

Don't do it Mac

What?!? A van to take you to the top of the hill?!?! That is pants, you bloody cupcake.

So the difference between you and me is this. No wonder Stevo needs an extra 28 inches of travel: I still don't know why you bothered with a helmet, there is enough padding on you to bounce off anything.

funny_fat_people_05.jpg

Have you got any more of your holiday snaps to show us :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    In the selfish mode..

Trust me pina, you don't need to worry about that. I've come from competing/racing at bmx world championship level to enjoying being on the road. These days the troy lee is gathering dust, I prefer my endura these days. :wink:

I don't think a poster of mont ventoux is any substitute for the real thing, anyone fancy a road trip? :lol:
    Scott S40 Speedster

• Stevo_666

funny_fat_people_05.jpg
    Yes, a van :mrgreen:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLtZucaxucZx1w22ql6ybP65RmwMNMyz24IJCAXspCcMyKU5CEiQ

And we look way cooler than roadies, that's what the hot chicks tells us anyway.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiiVovZJjEFWTQE3b_bjwhu6Z30G2vIE5BN_m9JVoIBUojmkp_
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Gale wind and wet brake don't make for good bedfellows. :roll:

..beg to differ - after a trip to the pub I quite often fa rt and wa az myself in bed - wife and dog get a bit annoyed but I'm ok.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    That's just too much information!
  • You know who i feel sorry for? Arsonists, standing around in cold dark alleys trying to get damp matches stuck. Nobody thinks of them do they, no cameron visits there oh no.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    That grey cloud you have above your head is at least 1,500 miles wide :evil:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike