crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Basically, anyone have any experience with these posts?[*]

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A link would help
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 281205990192 eBay number
  • stubs
    ZOOM SORATA PRO DROPPER POST

Looks quite tidy but as its brand new I doubt anyone will have any experience of it in this country. Try http://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php Its a US forum and they always seem to get stuff a few months before we do so might be a user on there.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Seems like could be good. As its a spring job can't see it having too many issues, I'll take a look
  • stubs
    Same seller was selling another similar version called TMARs and that has had a couple of decent reviews. As you say not a lot to go wrong though the lever looks quite clunky but you could probably swap that for something neater a Rockshox poploc lever or similar its only pulling a cable an old thumb shifter might do the same. Would be tempted if it had a bit of layback.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Wow that's cheap, how much drop does it have?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Says in the ad.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I think it the same as the rsp plummet dropper by Raleigh. I assume Satori/Zoom make the posts for them. A whisker under 600g. There is a thread on the rsp one here http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12948673
    I wonder if there are any real differeces, warranty, cable quality, internals etc but apparently there are no holes in the post but rather grooves to lock in both positions. At less than a third the price and only 80 or so grams more than a gravity dropper dropper I would be keen if early reports are good.
  • http://twentysix.ru/blog/stuff/108473.html review from a Russian blog. You may need to translate it but it looks like a solid bit of kit.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited January 2014
    Why do the all cheap ones (well, the ones I've seen...) seem to have the ugly gusset? Is a good seal one of the things that's expensive to engineer?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:
    Says in the ad.

Nice job keeping the spirit of a discussion forum going there :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    When you say gusset do you mean gaitor?
    The gaitor will in theory keep dirt and dust away from the seal and give it an easier life. In reality dirt and moisture will get in and the gaitor will keep it there.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    When you say gusset do you mean gaitor?
    The gaitor will in theory keep dirt and dust away from the seal and give it an easier life. In reality dirt and moisture will get in and the gaitor will keep it there.

Yes, gaiter, with an 'e' though (though, by the dictionary definition, gusset works, too). It looks dated and ugly - I'd have to be at that with a pair of scissors. I'm assuming it's the quality of the seals where the cheap ones fall down and this is an attempt to fight off the crud on a budget.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Yes the gaiter is ugly and I will take it off when mine arrives. Well maybe leave it for a few rides and see what happens underneath. It is identical to the RSP Plummet rite down to the jagwire cable so even if the warranty isn't all that parts should be easy to obtain and it's around £15-£35 cheaper than RSPs version. Anyone with anything to report on either version yet?
  • Post arrived and is installed. Satin silver finish looks good and the post feels solid and well constructed -Weight is 598g. The supplied cable was only just long enough but can easily be replaced with a standard derailleur cable. The switch lookslike a KS clone and has to sit above bar but it feels solid and works well. IIt's basically an apparently very well constructed Gravity Dropper turbo for less than a 3rd the price. Operation is pretty smooth and concise so If it lasts and is simple to service then the 50g weight penalty (over GD) is nothing. The seat clamp is a little fiddly but offers good adjustability and a broad clamping area so you could potentially run lighter saddles/ rails to negate some of the weight gain (318 on top of my standard Crank Brothers post). The worst I can say aesthetically is that the clamp mechanism housing is quite bulky compared to almost any other post I've come across. Field testing to follow ...