Second hand Dawes XC 2.4 as a starter 1st MTB

Jon114
Jon114 Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Picked up a 2nd hand Dawes XC 2.4 yesterday, it'll do as a starter mountain bike for me, big aspirations, small budget and not much time on my hands at the moment, so thought this'd be a good place to start?

It's not new, but with a little TLC it should be a good bike. What are your thoughts?

The front forks are not lockoff, should I look for a s/h set on Ebay, or just get used to riding it first?

Keen to know what the pro's suggest?

Cheers all

Jon :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what the forks are. Lockout is not really important IMO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ride it and change bits as an when required. Another who rarely bothers with lockout even on roads.
  • Thanks for the advice.

What are your thoughts on kit? What items do I need to look for in your opinion, (1st off helmet - yes I'm that new to it, (I do have an old one), but what in your opinion is a 'good' helmet)? Two friends of mine were saved by helmets over the years, my helmet is of dubious origin though - possibly Aldi years ago now - rather embarrassing, but honest.

Cheers
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Unless the helmet is broken just wear it. Nothing wrong with a cheap helmet if it fits.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Fit is most important, but all helmets sold in the EU comply with minimum standards.
    So try some on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If the helmet is over 5 years old get a new one, budget about 30 to 35 for a nice one.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap