Do it all bike for under £1000 on C2W

2»

Comments

• They are indeed! Haven't tried them out yet though.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • They are indeed! Haven't tried them out yet though.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of them and any comparisons, if you're able to.

I love my Hayes CX-5's but thinking of the Spyres (because I can) or for my CX build that I'm planning
  • aswh
    aswh Posts: 13
    After weeks of deliberation and quite a lot of frustration I have finally placed an order with my LBS. Unfortunately for me I left it too late to get a 2014 model as most of them have now sold out until Feb or April next year but I thanks to the helpful guys at my LBS i have now just received a quote for a custom build Kinesis Pro 6 in white. Its going to be kitted out with SRAM Rival and BB7 disc brakes, fingers crossed i'll have it in a few weeks!!

A big thank you to all who have contributed and helped me with the search and hopefully others will of found the thread useful. I'll be sure to get some pics up when I pick her up.

Cheers,
    Andy
  • aswh
    This was my choice of bike on the C2W. Picked it up yesterday!

TCXSLR2-1.jpg

Nice choice, I would of had this if I could of found stock in my local area, its superbly kitted out for the money.
  • Getting hold of one hasn't been easy. The only places you can currently get them are giant stores. Even then you have to be lucky. When I picked it up the guy in the giant shop said they are like hens teeth. They have only had two, mine and another which was sold in a day.
    I'm pretty lucky to have got mine, it's taken about two months to actually get my hands on it though.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    aswh wrote:
    After weeks of deliberation and quite a lot of frustration I have finally placed an order with my LBS. Unfortunately for me I left it too late to get a 2014 model as most of them have now sold out until Feb or April next year but I thanks to the helpful guys at my LBS i have now just received a quote for a custom build Kinesis Pro 6 in white. Its going to be kitted out with SRAM Rival and BB7 disc brakes, fingers crossed i'll have it in a few weeks!!

A big thank you to all who have contributed and helped me with the search and hopefully others will of found the thread useful. I'll be sure to get some pics up when I pick her up.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Excellent, you won't be disappointed.
  • @ muttley_109

The TCX SLR 2 is on my shortlist along with the 2014 CAADX 105. How have you found the ride? I was told it might be a bit harsh on rough roads because the fork is quite straight?
  • I haven't had a chance to give it a proper test yet but so far it doesn't feel harsh in the slightest. I'm comparing this to my Defy though. Given that its riding on 35mm tyres I don't think the straightness of the fork is going to make any noticable difference to be honest.
    I'll report back on the weekend after i've given it some abuse.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • Many thanks, I'm a newbie so any feedback is great.
  • DSC_1059.jpg

I've given the bike a thorough testing this weekend. I've spent the day cycling round the trails in the local forests.
    I've encountered wide fast fire roads, twisty single track full of tree roots, muddy and boggy bridle way, and fast downhill through the forest.

The only terrain it doesn't handle well is the fast, rocky downhill stuff. The vibrations meant I couldn't see and I didn't feel in control. When it started getting steeper and rockier I chickened out. It was mountain bike terrain and I think I reached the limitations of the bike.

The brakes worked excellently, the tyres gripped the mud and leaves well and the fframe absorbed as much as could reasonably be expected. If you are regularly riding on terrain that feels to rough on this bike then you need to buy a Mountain bike.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • Excellent, thanks for the review. Sounds perfect for my needs.
  • aswh
    Its taken a little while to get the pic up so sorry about that but here the bike I went for in the end, it's a Kinisis Crossloight Pro 6 :D II think it looks great in the black and white.

IMAG0440.jpg

Its kitted out with SRAM Apex shifters and Rival chainset, Avid BB7 disc brakes, and Specialized finishing kit. Weighs in at 9.3kg without the pedals which is'nt bad either. Ive recently swapped the knobbly tyres for winter road tyres and have a set of SKS Bluemel mudguards to fit to it but they look like they will need a bit of time to get fitted around the disc brakes.

All in all im extremely chuffed!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "II think it looks great in the black and white."

Indeed it does - suits it very well. Nice bike - and an excellent (low) weight.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • DM222
    DM222 Posts: 90
    I haven't had a chance to give it a proper test yet but so far it doesn't feel harsh in the slightest. I'm comparing this to my Defy though. Given that its riding on 35mm tyres I don't think the straightness of the fork is going to make any noticable difference to be honest.
    I'll report back on the weekend after i've given it some abuse.

How are you finding the bike after all this time?
    Popped to my local Giant dealer the other day as I was interested in the Defy road bike but saw the TCX and liked it!
    I hadn't really considered Cyclocross bikes but I like the disc brakes and the extra space for thicker tyres will make commutung better than a road bike!
    Is it good over long distances too - if you wanted to do sportives would it be ok?

I like the Giant, PLanet X XLS and Cannondale CaadX Tiagra/105 - just need to make my mind up! :wink:
  • Well to be honest I haven't been riding it since the brakes were re-called. Its booked in with Giant to have new brakes fitted this weekend.

In the small amount of time I was riding it though I'd say its great for commuting, huge fun on trails etc. Switch the tyres to something smoother and it's great on the road. I'd happily take it on a long ride (sportive etc) but would think twice if it was a hilly course as the gearing isn't as low as a road bike. TCX - Fr 46/36 Rr 11-28 Defy- Fr 50/34 Rr12-30
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • DM222
    Well to be honest I haven't been riding it since the brakes were re-called. Its booked in with Giant to have new brakes fitted this weekend.

In the small amount of time I was riding it though I'd say its great for commuting, huge fun on trails etc. Switch the tyres to something smoother and it's great on the road. I'd happily take it on a long ride (sportive etc) but would think twice if it was a hilly course as the gearing isn't as low as a road bike. TCX - Fr 46/36 Rr 11-28 Defy- Fr 50/34 Rr12-30

I hasn't even considered the gearing! Stupidly I presumed it would be the same as the road bike!!! :oops:
  • Well to be honest I haven't been riding it since the brakes were re-called. Its booked in with Giant to have new brakes fitted this weekend.

You could always fit a 12-30 or 11-32 cassette, I've gone for an 11-32 on my Merida with 105gearing :D gives a similar/lower gear ratio than a 34/30 that you might get on a compact

You could always fit a 12-30 or 11-32 cassette, I've gone for an 11-32 on my Merida with 105gearing :D gives a similar/lower gear ratio than a 34/30 that you might get on a compact

Or have a second bike to use on hilly ride's :D
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • N+1, I like your way of thinking :)
  • DM222
    My LBS has just taken delivery of a Whyte Suffolk and Whyte Dorset. They have carbon forks, discs and Tiagra or 105 gears for £1000 or £1200 - they look nice :wink: