The big advertising thread

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't accept that the moderators are powerless. They are next in the food chain and I am sure can make our feelings known.

This is what we do! Time and time again. We are on their backs all the time. What we are powerless to do is physically change the way the adverts works. I can't do that for you. I really have done all I can.
  • The problem when something is free of charge you become the product. I would much rather a sub fee but that would not generate enough revenue. In fact I could stomach the advertising if it was not so blood intrusive. As above terrible website now and the adverts are barely targeted either.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Are there massive banner adverts, on both sides of the forum screen squeezed in the middle, for eveyrone else also? :|
  • rhunt0
    rhunt0 Posts: 12
    Whilst browsing tonight visited the wrong thread / page countless times due to screen jumping about. Only way to browse now is on iPhone. iPad and Mac pointless!

Not happy please sort it out
  • rhunt0 wrote:
    Whilst browsing tonight visited the wrong thread / page countless times due to screen jumping about. Only way to browse now is on iPhone. iPad and Mac pointless!

Not happy please sort it out

Add on's can remove the adverts on a mac/PC I installed one a while back since they started triggering mirgrane's

iPad options are less though most of the time it's not too bad, though it's far from good web experience and has made me look around for other bike news/forums etc.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I have heard that, hopefully, the revised multi format site should be ready early next month. it will be interesting to see if this stops the motion.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wow - I've just started logging in from the UK again on my iPad and the difference is incredible - the site is almost unusable with these surround ads popping up. I don't get them in NL. At Xmas I complained to Nespresso. At least I don't get their ads anymore...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nicklouse
    Wow - I've just started logging in from the UK again on my iPad and the difference is incredible - the site is almost unusable with these surround ads popping up. I don't get them in NL. At Xmas I complained to Nespresso. At least I don't get their ads anymore...
    I know it is really bad. I resorted to my old laptop over Xmas.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    This is really bugging the crap out of me tonight, what's the ETA on someone sorting this?

It's really making the forum annoying for tablet users
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • nicklouse
    Same as I said before.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've not read all this thread but the popup-at-the-top ads are VERY ANNOYING!

Whoever is in charge of these, please send them out for a lunchtime ride and then log them out.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I may bump this every night until I throw the ipad against a wall, then sue.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437

10) Do not "bump" your topics back to the top of the forum boards. This is not fair on other users, any topics found to be bumped will be removed. :roll:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Velonutter wrote:

10) Do not "bump" your topics back to the top of the forum boards. This is not fair on other users, any topics found to be bumped will be removed. :roll:

But it's a sticky anyway :?

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rhunt0
    rhunt0 Posts: 12
    Cheers guys, didn't think it could get any worse. The adverts now appear either on one side or both sides to keep you on your toes.

I am outa here, will check back once a week till fixed! Thanks for having me I have learnt a lot.

PS of all the adverts that popped up none were of any interest, so all that has happened is another user has gone. Perhaps targeted ads at cyclists would be better
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    It's getting worse.

Over the last two nights I have been on here with my Android tablet. On both evenings I went through spells of hitting the wrong links because of the advert two foot shuffle. On a couple of occassions it took me FOUR, FOUR!! that's THREE more than necessary, attempts to get into the right Road sub forum.

I was in the magazine section, the MTB section and the Workshop section.

I've just ordered BT Infinity so it will be interesting to see if the shuffle happens quick enough to avoid hitting the wrong link.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Just had a thought.

Currently the adverts I am seeing are for Basketball boots, BT broadband and chain tools. All of which I have been searching for on Google.

I think I will clear all the cookies and then do a search for Victoria's Secret and La Senza.

If the adverts are going to be a pain in the butt they may as well be nice to look at!!
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    This has become one of the worst websites in a very short time frame due to excessive and intrusive advertising.

Odd way of doing business, as people fade away, so will the advertisers.

It truly is awful. Are the site owners aware just how bad it is?
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    VmanF3 wrote:
    It truly is awful. Are the site owners aware just how bad it is?

Mod Edit: - Rude Insulting comments removed
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    There is a LEGOLAND advert that is springing up, I presume it should be one that goes across the top and down the sides like the other irritating ads that make the screen jump around. The problem with this one is I can only see the ad and get a large white space in the middle.
    Using IE11 on Windows 7 on my work PC.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    There is a LEGOLAND advert that is springing up, I presume it should be one that goes across the top and down the sides like the other irritating ads that make the screen jump around. The problem with this one is I can only see the ad and get a large white space in the middle.
    Using IE11 on Windows 7 on my work PC.
    Same here using the same browser. It's just taken me four goes to be able to post this due to the ad being on top of the edit window.
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    Fuck me these are shit. First time back to Bike Radar forum for a while and oh my god these adverts aroudn the forum are horrific........... good bye - so greedy to do it and obviously those who made the commercial decision to put these weird scrolling adverts are neither forum users nor have any concerns for their forum's users.

BOO. BOO. BOO.

I enjoyed reading your insightful and sometimes controversial views - such a shame that the site now gives me a brain hemorrhage
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    There are many easy ways to get rid of them.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Without them I would be completely unaware of the aesthetic qualities of a vertically displayed Mekk 3G Potenza SL4.0 Sora Red Black 2013 (I have no connection to any company called Mekk)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Without them there may not be a forum for us all to use & enjoy. They're not ideal, but maybe they're necessary.

Future PLC (FUTR.LN), a publishing group, Friday said full-year adjusted earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization will be significantly below market forecasts after an earlier-reported downturn in trading continued in January and February, adding that cost-cutting will continue for the rest of this year.
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    they don't bother me, except the emirates one that roles in from the outside and covers the whole screen, that is taking advertising a wee bit too far IMO.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Apart from the one that jumps in at the top and causes me to click on the wrong forum regularly.

Nothing against advertising, that is my trade, but intrusive ads on websites are a pain in the arse and do no favours for the advertiser at all.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Yes, I'm happy to have ads as they fund the forum, but the ones that come in at the top and bump all the content down just as you click on something really grind my gears!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    What are these adverts of which you speak?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pross wrote:
    What are these adverts of which you speak?

Rubbish.